SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to further promote my site Pawsitronic through means other than the search engines. Unlike webmaster resource sites, which can partner and exchange reciprocal links, I can't exactly link to my competitors Any suggestions from our members as to what I could do to further enhance my site?

Thank you for your suggestions
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i said a long time ago that i would do a review of Pawsitronic. All i might need is a sample graphic. Maybe a sample template of a web page. Wont use either but i can do the review.
    Ace Nova
    Football Man
    InternetSprite.Com - Coming Soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you're in a tough position, Sparkie. A great way would to get your site reviewed in a magazine or something prominent online. But then again, that's easier said than done.

I would focus on getting listed in as many search engines as possible (all of the major ones) and if you have some extra money, try paying for GoTo, as many people search for services like you offer through search engines.

Another way is to easily provide your clients a way to refer your company to friends. That's the best way to get new customers - by mouth. You could provide a form for happy clients to put a message to send to their friends.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some valid points. I have actually obtained a couple of referalls from word of mouth. What I did was leave some flyers with some of my customers and they were only too happy to hand them out for me. One of my customers is a local dentist and he let me leave a bunch of flyers in his reception area, where clients wait before they are treated. I am aiming at the local small business market, so doing things like leaving flyers at local dentists, doctors, supermarkets etc might help. Getting listed on search engines is all well and proper, but a lot of my clients don't even have Internet access so it is irrelevant.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I check my ranking every few weeks, and my site (as well as sites I've designed) is listed in every major search engine. I also have a Recommend-It form on every page of my site, for visitors to refer Pawsitronic to friends.

Word of Mouth does work exceptionally well, especially in the college arena. I'm also working on having some business cards professionally printed.

Getting listed in a magazine would be pawsome.. I'm also working on forming some helpful partnerships with hosting companies, web tool providers and such. I just dont like the idea of plastering my site with ad buttons and banners.

Any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join Link Topper
    http://searchenginebase.com

Tell Ralph that J.K. sent ya...
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, with a web design site, you couldn't plug in an ad!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to build up traffic i would offer to give away site design and in exchange have poeple add a link to your site which sais designed by pawsitronic. you can have sort of a contest, and pick high traffic sites.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie,

Have you tried running a free seminar/class like, "Making Your First Webpage", "Top 10 Myths About Putting Your Business Online", "Buying and Selling on eBay", etc., etc.

All the handouts you use, etc. could have your name and company plastered all over them and you could use specific examples about things you've done in the class (to reinforce that people pay you to do this stuff)...

It seems like this would be a good way to get some word of mouth out there about you/your company and possibly pick up some paying gigs.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, need to find a meeting room first....

Good luck.

Mark

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmangano has a very valid point. I always leave at least an e-mail address and name on any materials I design for classes etc.

I've found after seeing that web design isn't as easy as they thought it would be, some of my delegates just pay me to build their sites for them

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to think out of the box, if I can use a cliche!

Nobody links to direct competitors. You should find sites that compliment yours and partner with them.

What do I mean by compliment?

Being that you are in business for yourself, I take it that you have a thumbnail sketch of your target market? Who are they? What education do they most likely have? What do they want from life? What is the purpose of wanting a web site?

Answer all of these as specifically as possible first, then the rest will be easy.

All you need to do is sit down and get inside the head of your target customers. Make a list of the sites they would go visit. Make a list of the things they are bound to like and need.

Find sites for every single question you answered when developing your target profile. You should be able to come up with at least 15-30 sites that you share your target market with, yet you are not in direct competition.

Contact them all personally. Propose a joint venture or promotion of some kind. Using this method, you'll increase traffic big-time!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

From my expiriance, I believe that you must find a right place for your link swap. Of course, that can not be your competition, but there are well-visited sites that has the same target community you require.
    That is a chance! Thay are usually very interested, and I believe it is a very good way to continue with promotion.

Our site, http://www.bizwhat.com is not yet listed in all search engines (God Bless Altavista ), (we are set up in september 2000.), but we already have a nice community.

All The Best
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?