User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make a chat work - Help !

Hallo,

I have just started my first chat, I was thinking about this since a "long time" because I know that it is better to not have a chat than an empy chat :-) ...

So after many website improvements, I am currently getting about 12.000 visitors by day and about 50.000 page views by day. I was thinking these were good numbers to start a chat... so I did it this last week end but...

...I find 2-3 people chatting and no more.. and this because I am there waiting for somebody...so that other users come and see people to stay in... many of them come and leave due to empy chat...

Have you got any suggestion to get more users to chat ?

Actually I have put a link to CHAT on each page... but this doesn't help so much..

Thanks a lot!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Takes time to build these things up. I think you just need to be patient. Wish I had that kind of hit rate.

Nick
    All4YourPC for all your PC needs. Custom software.
    Websites. Web marketing. Training.
    http://members.aol.com/nickjc67

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean that users will come back again and often ?

I am monitoring the chat since 19.00 and now there are abou 5 users ! It seems that they are enjoy it and are talking about meet again on the same place... could be this the way it works ? ;-)

...I am going to read your web site :-)

Thanks

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - word of mouth. People need to know it is actually being used!
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set a recurring date for events in the chat, like

"Meeting every Wednesday and Sunday at 5 pm", so people will know when there are users online. There can be 100 people in the chat at one day, but if they all log in, see that no one is there and leave again, no one will stay (I am speaking from my own experience).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks, I am currently fixing a problem: it was locked to 5 users max.. this is why it was not growing !

I will tell what's happens later... ;-) Thanks !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chat is working since 4 days ago, today I have removed 5 users limit and I am happy to see that I could reach up to 10 users at the same time :->

It is not a lot I know, but it seems that each day will add more users to join and return to the chat!

Actually I am spending a lot of time chatting with other people...trying to make them talk each other... some of them seems prefer to read... I don't know if I am wasting my time or if it could help ...hope yes...

Now while writing, local time is 23.40 and I am surprised to see that there are about 8 people chatting !

I hope it will grow day by day... but now I am asking myself: how can this help my web site ?

I mean, I think that banners on it will not be clicked...or they will have very poor click trought...

...so, could it make people talk of my website around ?

...or I can think at it as a free non "revenue" feature ?

...or will only make me lose click on banners because "random" users clicks on chat instead be atracted by banners ? ;-)

What do you think about ?

Thanks a lot

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 'current users in chat' feature may help

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunally I bought a quite expensive license of java chat that at this step (limited to 100 users) does not allow this nice feature... so I have to wait eventually to upgrade my license...