SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell us about the things in life where reality didn't match up with your expectations.

For instance, on Frasier, there was an episode where he and Niles road on the elevated train. My wife and I decided to take our daughter on the elevated train in Seattle to pass some time. Round trip was less than 10 minutes--5 of which were in the stations. The train had only two stations. I pictured this thing that took you around Seattle--NOT!

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-11-2000 at 05:30 PM]
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing that comes to my mind is my beloved Kentucky Wildcats basketball team. Man, they are struggling this year.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto with McLaren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every toy suprise in every box of Cracker Jack I've ever opened.
    Many web hosting companies
    My current provider (for the better!)
    GE 31" t.v. (died 2 months after the 2 year warrenty ran out)
    The amount of food in any Budget Gourmet frozen dinner
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody says how college is the best time of your life so i expected it to be pretty good but it turns out it's just really lame. I sure hope it's not the best time of my life because then there's not really any point to living.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jamesglewisf
    Tell us about the things in life where reality didn't match up with your expectations.

I once imagined that I would have enough time to do everything I wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    Everybody says how college is the best time of your life so i expected it to be pretty good but it turns out it's just really lame. I sure hope it's not the best time of my life because then there's not really any point to living.
    Are living at school or just comuting? If you are living at school then you have to make it the best time of your life. Sitting on the computer all night isn't going to cut it

Never again will you be around thousands of women the same age as you, one floor this way or that way of you, that get drunk 3-4 times a week or more. I'll stop now, and I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.

Not that everything in college has to do with women, but it is one of the golden times for picking up girls. Remind me to delete this message...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in an apartment a block away from school, and I'm not on the computer all night.

Sure there are lots of women, but there are very few that I actually find interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to agree with the "college is what you make of it" crowd. I attended Baylor University in the puny little town of Waco, Texas. I had a blast, but I knew plenty of people who didn't have fun. Just hang out with the ones that our enjoying themselves, and ignore the rest.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother also went to Baylor (just graduated). He also had a great time - met people with interests like him and took advantage of some opportunities he'll probably never have again. I too enjoyed college, at least the first two years. Then all the work came down in a flood and since I was there on scholarship . . . . Still was pretty fun, but less time to spend with friends, etc. so . . . .

I'd have to say going to Israel is the first thing that comes to mind in terms of things that don't match expectations. I lived on a Kibbutz for three months and originally went for the experience but also as a kind of spiritual journey. But I was pretty surprised at just how non-religious many Israelis are. I couldn't have even told you if there was a synagogue within an hours drive of my kibbutz and only ever saw one man wearing a yamulka on the kibbutz. There was also no way to attend Christian services as we had to work everyday but Saturdays. That was a bit of a shock at first, but in the end, the trip did turn out to be one of the best exeperiences of my life and a spiritual journey of sorts still.

Related to this was my trip to Petra in Jordan. I had heard a little about it from people who went there. Everyone just raved and raved and so I expected to be let down when I finally saw it because I had such high expectations based on what everyone said. But I was NOT disappointed in the least. For sheer physical impressiveness, there is no site in my opinion that rivals Petra. I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone who has a chance to go. (FYI - As a point of reference, the facade used for the temple in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" is one of the "buildings" carved into the stone cliffs at Petra. But, so your not disappointed, the interior is actually VERY plain - big, square cavern. Still, the outside more than makes up.)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, while we were in Amman (sp?), the capital of Jordan, we made the mistake of EXPECTING that it would be okay for women to wear pants, it being such a large city with a good amount of tourists. DON'T make that mistake!

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. James
    First thing that comes to my mind is my beloved Kentucky Wildcats basketball team. Man, they are struggling this year.
    Wow.... my basketball team here is called the Perth Wildcats..... that rocks

they're having a great season

Adam