SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to my problems with my ISP I ended up having to reinstall my entire system. I have put ICQ back on my machine, but even though it recognises me, I have lost my contact list. How do I get this back. I thought the info was held on a server, as I hoped to run ICQ on 2 separate machines that would store my details concurrently.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost my contact list too awhile back but luckily wasn't that big. I sure wouldn't mind to know how to restore them but I have a feeling that we needed to back them up ourselves...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dlynn, just browsed throught the ICQ webpages and you are right! We do need to back them up ourselves.

Q: How do I Back up my Contact List?
    A: Follow these steps:
    Shut down ICQ.
    Locate the ICQ folder (by default in C:\Program Files\)
    Copy the Newdb folder into a different location
    When the Contact List needs to be restored, Follow the same steps in reverse, and remember to Shut Down ICQ before you begin.

Oh well, things like this have been happening ALL week! it's one of them!

If anyone on SP was on my contact list, I beg of you to please request to be added again. I can't possibly remember everyone!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Nicky~ Thanks for the answer!

Even when I lost my list about 2 weeks ago and thought I should back up my contact list or at least find out if I had to...did I? Nope!

Now when I backup my bookmarks, I'll back up my ICQ contact list at the same time...sorry to say that you always learn things the hard way ~~
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually which directory you back up depends on the version of ICQ you are running.

For example, if you are using ICQ 2000b, then you will need to back up the directory "2000b".

Generally, just back up the directory with some files with your UIN as file names and with extensions like .idx, .dat and so on.