SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mySQL 3.23.56 FULLTEXT min word length

I have tried searching for the answer to the question below but I can't seem to find a clear answer (which might tell me that it can't be done ).

The question:
    I know in mySQL4 there is the ft_min_word_len parameter that can be altered to change the minimum word length search term for a FULLTEXT index (default value 4).

Is there any mechanism in mySQL3.23.56 to alter this default value? (ft_min_word_len is not an available parameter in 3.23.56).

The reason:
    I have developed a documentation/help desk system that has mySQL 3.23.56 as the back-end database. Unfortunately, the company where this is being used lives in TLA-city (Three Letter Acronym) so people will tend to search for help documents using the common TLAs. I would like to change the min word length of the index to 3 from 4 so as to accommodate this situation.

Hoping for salvation (other than updating to mySQL4 at this time - not sure if 4 is stable on Windows platform) ...
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One point extra to note:

When people use the Add-A-Call form to, well, add a call to the help desk and a "helper" picks up the call to answer it, the help desk system automatically searches the existing documentation by doing a FULLTEXT search using the text of the call as the search term, so as to show links to possible solutions (to help the helper).

I hope this extra clarification is useful.

You can see an example of this helpdesk at www.siteguru.co.uk/helpdesk.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone?
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk