SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what script would accomplish this search need?

Hi --

A part of my site (for actors) allows members to have their headshot and resume on their own page. I then list all the members' names and url on a "member database" page. All this is done with basic HTML - no current php or MySQL use.

I'm thinking that I'd like to add a search page that would allow visitors to search the "member database" with various criteria (gender, location, age range, etc.) and the appropriate members would come back as the results.

Is there a php script I can find to accomplish this? Would I need to enter the current members info (i.e. gender, location, any other criteria I want in results) into a database? I'm just not certain how to approach this searchable database feature.

Thanks for any guidance.

Josh

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you said, go for database and save yourself lots of hassle in the future.
    Searching, registering, updating... everything would be much easier to implement when you use a database with proper coding around it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Yea, that's kind of what I thought. However, I went to check out some php 'search' scripts and they're not exactly what I need to accomplish.

Basically, if I have 100 members' pages, I'd not only like a search to only search those members pages but I'd like to have a few different search (drop-down menu) options for the user to search with.

For example, one would have them choose between NY and L.A., another by gender and another by age. Then have them search using all the criterea.

Would I need a custom search engine created for this?

Thanks.

Josh

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to parse what user entered and create an SQL query for the parameters they use
    something like
    Select * from member where member_gender='F'

or

Select * from member where member_gender='F' and
    member_state='LA'

Your sql query will be different for different searches.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, I see. The only problem is that I'm not php-schooled enough to create that kind of search script.

What kind of price would a delevoper charge to create a search script like this?

Josh