SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could any of you please help me understand how Flash banners can automatically detect the Flash plugin, and serve a GIF file if the plugin is not present.

I want it to be done without prompting users to download any flash plugins.

Any directions are also welcome.

Thanks in advance !

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Dreamweaver you can just insert a script that does it for you. I am not familiar with banner creation software, but maybe there is one that will do the same thing. I will have a look round for you. Maybe Dlynn or SParkie can help with this one, I think Sparkie in particular is quite a banner expert.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Nicky,

Thanks for the directions.
    As I am very much new here, I don't know much about sparkie or anybody else. So I will wait for a while for some one to come and help me out.

Actually this need not be specific to flash banners.

Any flash content for that matter, a splash page or a flash button.

If it can find out the flash plugin is not available on the client machine I want to show an image instead.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 1800eshop
    Hello Nicky,
    Actually this need not be specific to flash banners.

Any flash content for that matter, a splash page or a flash button.

If it can find out the flash plugin is not available on the client machine I want to show an image instead.
    I checked the alt.macromedia.flash newsgroup FAQ and found this:
    Q: How can I make my site automatically detect the plug-in and take the viewer directly to the flash site?
    A: JavaScript detection routines work on PCs (unless JS is disabled) but not at all on Mac IE4.5
    The best way to achieve your aim is to make a tiny swf that contains just two frames with the action GET URL "flashsite.html" in frame 2 and put this on your index page. Include a text link for a non-flash version of your site if it is available. If you use some action script to move a movie clip (set X and Y co-ordinates for example), the version 4 plug-in will be necessary.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using Flash 3 or above you can get Flash itself to create you a JavaScript page that will:

• Detect the browser and use an <object> or <embed> tag accordingly.
    • Display a static image if the plugin isn't present

In Flash 4 the place to look in is Publish Settings in the File menu, Flash 3 uses a seperate program called AfterShock to achieve a similar effect, Flash 5 i've not really tried so aren't too sure about I'm guessing it'll work in a similar way to Flash 4 though.

You can also use a script to detect the plugin and redirect you to an appropriate page depending on whether you've got it installed or not.

Of course, as Nicky said, this doesn't work if JavaScript is disabled in the browser, so if you're worried about this use Nicky's method, but realistically, how many people have it disabled anyway? *starts a great big debate at this point*

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me!