User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uploading data definitions to MySQL

Hi everyone,

I am developing a site in PHP using a MySQL database and is hosted off-site. When I originally created the database tables, I used a PHP page that I created that I could cut and past the definitions of each table. It worked great.
    Now I need to alter and add to the tables and doing it my original way could be too tedious, because each instance is different. If I was doing this for my version of the database at home, I would write a script, use the mysql.exe and use the script in the source command. (I hope this makes sense)
    I was wondering if there is either a PHP command that would take a source script as a parameter, or if there is some way for me to interact with the off-site database directly.

Thanks,

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have the mysql username and password and permission why dont you connect to the offsite mysql directly from the php script?
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I think that is what I will end up doing. I was hoping to be able to write a VERY short php page with one command that would use a text file script to make all of the changes, instead of writing a php page that included a mysql_query for each update I wanted to make.