SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where exactly is the satisfaction in creating a website?

Personally I don't find much there. I like the results of my creative endeavours to be something tangible... that I can hold in my hands. A website is just a bunch of electric impulses that only exist in this fantasy internet land. Also, since most of your visitors will be far off it's hard to feel appreciated, even if you get nice emails or whatever... they are just a bit lifeless.

Maybe other people see it differently, but that's what I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a web site can be hard work. Yes, a web site be time consuming, and yes, it isn't always be fun. But the benefits pay off. Whether it be money you earn, or simply getting the kind compliments from people praising your work. There's not many better things that will make me (and I'm sure many other webmasters) feel good than hearing from a visitor who likes your site and compliments you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is just fun. Of course, my background is programming and that is not something tangible either, but it can be beneficial.

BTW, Luzer, it is great to see you a little more active again. I missed your posts.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lifeless is the furthest thing from my site! It's fun to write, fun to hear from readers (unless they think I have no class, but even the insults are a little fun), the forum has grown to a community, and getting recognition from other sites through awards, links, and mentions in articles is very rewarding. I've met lots of great people through my site -- it's nice knowing people who think the same way I do.

I've been a conventional artist most of my life - painting, drawing, etc. - as well as enjoying writing and humor, and doing websites for me is the ultimate combination of all my favorite things. If I painted a painting, it would just hang on a wall somewhere and only be seen by whoever purchased it, or, more likely, by me and whoever came into my house. That's much more lifeless than my sites.

Plus, I do it for a living, too. The professional sites I do for businesses aren't as emotionally rewarding, but they pay the bills!
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course the day after I take my site down it gets mentioned in Rolling Stone. Go figure.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ultimate goal in sitebuilding is to make loads and loads of money

Of course, because web design is something I want to do as a career, the experience and building up a good portfolio is valuable too.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second fluffykins I'd like it to finance my dreams.

I enjoy making Web sites for the artistic expression. I'm still new enough at this to be awestruck by the power of the protocals (html, xml) and computers in general. With just a few simple words you can get something professinal and beautiful up. I've never developed my drawing or painting abilities - but the Web makes it so easy to put something up that looks awesome!

I feel a sense of accomplishment when I get something up that looks professional and (in my eyes) handsome.

Plus, where else can your work be seen instaniously across the world?! How cool is that?

[Edited by mfarmerhi on 11-10-2000 at 02:11 PM]

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the site I guess. They certainly don't have to be lifeless. A lot of sites are real communities. The one I spend a lot of time on isn't one of mine. It started out as a fan site for a performer and has turned into a community of people who know each other and see each other offline as well as on, and go there first to let people know if something is happening in their lives. It's also become the official web site for the performer in question, but it's become almost like two separate functions.
    I'm probably a lot older than most of the people that frequent Sitepoint. In fact my kids are probably older than half the people here. Spending so much of my life in a time when none of this existed gives me a keen appreciation for this new medium. It has power that nothing else ever has before. I'm excited every day that I got to participate in this during my lifetime.

Some of my sites are useful, some are not particularly, but most do something for someone. And that's exciting to me, too.