SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks redux, congratulations on becoming an advisor. You are quite stubborn. You have proven my point yet you keep on disagreeing that navigation lists have semantic meaning. I fail to grasp your point.

Anyway, thank you for pointing me to that link.

DH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this will make my point clearer. Just as you use strong as opposed to bold to indicate semantic meaning of bold text, so you would define a list a <nl> as you have pointed out, to indicate hyerarchical importance, just as 1 would always preceed 2 and 3 in an ordered list.

DH

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtmlhelp
    Thanks redux, congratulations on becoming an advisor. You are quite stubborn. You have proven my point yet you keep on disagreeing that navigation lists have semantic meaning. I fail to grasp your point.
    thanks. yes i am quite stubborn, i guess. i am not disagreeing in any way that navigation lists have semantic meaning. on the contrary, i'm convinced that navigation bars should in most cases be marked up as lists. i'm disagreeing that "horizontal list" has semantic meaning (whereas ordered/unordered clearly have).
    i still think the term "horizontal" will denote a visual/presentational meaning, and not a semantic one (unless you are using the term in an information architecture type context, implying that the links are "on the same level"). in the same vein, that's why xhtml2.0 will have a "navigation list" element, and not a variety of elements such as "horizontal list", "vertical list", "diagonal list", "button list", "multicoloured list"...these aspects are catered for by the CSS, and i still believe that to a user who cannot see the visual layout of the page, it is irrelevant how a list is styled, as long as it's semantically marked up to denote the fact that it is a list of links.

anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree methinks
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we are talking about the same exact thing redux (see 4 posts down), we disagree to agree lol.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heck, it's been a long week...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com