SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello folks,
    I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction of what happend to IE - it stopped working a few days ago. By that I mean that it wont load any websites, it shows that "the page cannot be displayed" error page. I am connected to the net and Netscape works fine. I thought maybe the problem came from Hotbar that I had installed a while back, because it kept asking me to update Hotbar, but I didn't care that much for it so I didn't upgrade.
    Anyways, I deinstalled Hotbar today and it still does the same.
    I have also noticed that I fairly often that when IE is NOT running and I open, lets say Control Panel, I will crash explorer when I close the Control Panel window. (I get the Illegal Operation box and then explorer shuts down so I lose my desktop settings, systray etc.
    I do NOT know if these two things are related.

Here are the "stats" of my system:
    Compaq Pressario 5610
    PII 350Mhz
    64MB
    IE 5.00.2314.1003
    WIN98
    Netscape 4.72
    56K dialup

Sorry about the long post

Thanks for ANY info,

Ken

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try reinstalling IE. If that doesn't work, you can either:

-continue using NS and ignore it when IE crashes or
    -back up your data, format the HD and reinstall Windows
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live without IE? Never!

As Elledan said, try reinstalling just IE, or you should check in your IE settings to make sure you didn't accidently change anything...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I will try to reinstall IE. Will I lose anything doing that...?
    Is there a newer verison of IE than the one I have that I should download...?

I could live without IE, but I don't like the fact that explorer crashes. I mostly use NS, I only switch when NS aggrevates me with some of its unexplainable behavior...

I'll let you know what happens!

Again, thanks!!

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newest version of IE is 5.5, what do you have?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ChevyKen
    Thanks guys, I will try to reinstall IE. Will I lose anything doing that...?
    You will have to backup your favorites and when you reinstall just save over the new favorites file with your backup.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the exact version:
    IE 5.00.2314.1003

Okay, I'll back up the favorites then -

thanks a bunch guys!

Ken

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~ Another suggestion for all before reinstalling is to 'Repair IE'

Start >> Programs >> Accessories >>
    System Tools >> System Information >>
    Tools >> Internet Explorer Repair Tool & just choose 'Repair IE'

This will usually do the trick before I have to reinstall, not always but sometimes. My system is quirky and whenever I have problems with IE, I will always do this first! Many times I don't have to reinstall...

p.s. I always back up my favorites on a zip as I nearly lost them once! I also had problems with HotBar and took this program off my system. There may very well be a conflict...

~ You also may want to check out the "Internet Explorer Companion" from the .net online mag ~ there are tips and resources that have been a great help for me.

[Edited by WebKat on 11-10-2000 at 07:40 PM]
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there WebKat, and thanks for the suggestion - that sounds like a plan, BUT - I dont have Internet Explorer Repair Tool & just choose 'Repair IE' under System Information / Tools...? Can it be located somewhere else...? I have Win98.

Is there any other websites than Microsoft's where I can download IE 5.5 ? Their download doesn't work for me. When I get that install wizard downloaded it is not capable of finding the URL or it is busy.....

Anyone know of other places?

Thanks a million!!

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChevyKen, since you don't have the latest version of IE, why don't you try upgrading to IE 5.5? That will likely solve your problem... and it couldn't hurt to backup your bookmarks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M.James,
    I was thinking of upgrading - but then I figured maybe I wouldn't get rid of my problem, so that instead I would just download the complete new 5.5 and start from scratch..?
    The only problem is that when I try to download it from Microsoft - I first d/l that little installation wizard to do the actual install, but when Im trying to start the d/l of the Actual 5.5 - it wont connect...? I've been trying for days now...

I will back up my favorites though so I have them anyway.

Is Microsoft's website the only place I can download it from...??

Thanks again,

Ken

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to access The Repair Internet Explorer feature as it is part of IE 5.0 ~ which is the version that you have. I don't know why you can't find it in System Information...

I think that Microsoft is the only online download site but it seems like it is more your connection that is the problem and not the download site. Be sure you have all additional progams shut down while you are downloading...even a small program such as print screen or font load may disrupt your download ~ has for me.

BTW, did you use the International Download at the MS website?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.htm

One option for you is that there are many CDs that offer the IE program, often included as part of a magazine package such as .net Mag -- you might want to find one and load from the CD itself (the CD is only available in US $10/Canada $15 on the Microsoft site)

And again I recommend http://www.netmag.co.uk/ie5/ as a good resource for Everything IE!

Good luck ~ I know how frustrating it can be
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M.James,
    I was thinking of upgrading - but then I figured maybe I wouldn't get rid of my problem, so that instead I would just download the complete new 5.5 and start from scratch..?
    The only problem is that when I try to download it from Microsoft - I first d/l that little installation wizard to do the actual install, but when Im trying to start the d/l of the Actual 5.5 - it wont connect...? I've been trying for days now...

I will back up my favorites though so I have them anyway.

Is Microsoft's website the only place I can download it from...??

Thanks again,

Ken
    Don't hold me against my word, but I don't think an upgrade will make you lose all your settings, cookies, and bookmarks. At least for me, it didn't affect those.

There are loads of places to download IE. I recommend http://www.download.com and http://www.hotfiles.com

Let us know how it works.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run into this rather frustrating problem a couple of times myself.

Herein, we find one of the few good uses for Netscape.

Go to MS with NS and try to force a download of IE5.5 that way.

Solved a couple of such problems here...

[Edited by etLux on 11-16-2000 at 06:19 PM]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of downloading just go pick up a magazine with a CD. They usually include the latest Internet Explorer and Netscape releases.

If your looking for such a magazine check out "BOOT". I always install of the CD. If you don't select "Macromedia Shockwave" in a custom install you don't have to download anything during the install.

I don't know why but it always has to download the Shockwave but not the Flash plugin.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SWF files are supported by all 4X and later browsers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sorry I've not responded/updated you guys until now, but its getting close to the end of the semester at the Univ. with exams/papers and what not, so I've not had a chance to get back...

Anyway, I ended up trying to re-install the current version of IE from the original file > No change.

Then I tried to install a newer version off of a CD that conveniently arrived in the mail > No luck there either...

The browser works with html pages etc that are stored locally on the computer, it just cannot connect to any internet pages....

What in the world can I do with this? Do I have to re-install windows..?

If so, should I buy the upgrade CD to ME from 98?

Any thoughts are still highly appreciated..

Thank you,

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backup important files > Format the HD > Reinstall Windows > Put the backup back.

Sorry, I don't see any other possibilities here

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh nooo....don't say that. That is the last thing I want to do....

Gotta prepare myself mentally on that one. I have SO much stuff on this computer.

Now, I've planned for a while to get myself a new bigger Hard drive. The one I have is an 8.5GB and its getting full
    Maybe this would be a good time to do that and then just use the old one as a secondary drive ? Is that a good or bad idea?
    If I do that, will have to remove Win98 from the current drive to be able to run it simultaneously with a new one?

Sorry for all the ???'s but this really comes at a very inconvenient time (Im in the middle of finals etc).

Again, thanks for all inputs.

Ken

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken, you might want to have a look at http://www.v-com.com if you're putting in a new drive and partitioning.

I think you might be able to pull a hat trick or two with something like System Commander or Partition Commander that will let you double-install Win98, copy over what you need from your exising installation; then wipe the old installation.

I've done double-installs like this, and it worked out fine -- saved my neck.

An e-mail to them on the topic might not be a bad idea...

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just create a new partition, and back up all your data onto that?

Then you can format C: (or whatever Windows is installed on) and it won't effect the other partitions That's what I do.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those both sound like good ideas!!
    If doing a double install, does that mean I need to have enough hard drive space for 2 installations simultaneously?
    Also, I guess I still better take recent back-ups of my drive to be on the safe side? (I know, I know, I should have that anyway, but ya' know... )

For the partition idea, is there any benefits of partitioning my drive vs adding a new one ?
    Im just asking since Im gonna need more hard drive space before long, and if there are any special benefits from partitioning thats better than two physically separate drives, then I will buy a bigger new drive and move my old stuff over and separate things into partitions and just take the old drive out......but, is it really beneficial?

Thanks again folks, you're all great help!!!

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the partition idea, is there any benefits of partitioning my drive vs adding a new one ?
    Im just asking since Im gonna need more hard drive space before long, and if there are any special benefits from partitioning thats better than two physically separate drives, then I will buy a bigger new drive and move my old stuff over and separate things into partitions and just take the old drive out......but, is it really beneficial?
    It's always safer to have two seperate drives instead of two partitions, since partitions are defined only in the partition table (in the first sectors of the HD) and are therefore easily damaged.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, finals are over and school is out, so eventually I have the time to mess with this. I have a 30GB drive in the mail, and will do some major re-arranging when it arrives.
    I think I will make a separate partition for WIN98 and then take what I need from the old HD and eventually wipe it and use it as a backup or something.

Anyways, thanks to all that have pitched in their $.02 and helped me out. I might have some specific questions when I start messing with this in a day or two.

Ken