SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen Resolution Design

It will take me a while to get through reading all these articles, but screen resolution vs design is my greatest dilemma. Even this forum is set up for a 1024 wide resolution. But I was castigated the other day for having an 800 wide resolution designed page (nott he site you'll see in my signature) by one of the first Australian computer brains in my country the other day. I checked it with anybrowser and like who still uses such small screen resolutions and why? Apart from the vision impaired, I mean.

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Relative sizes - Fluid Design...

Quote Originally Posted by redcam
    It will take me a while to get through reading all these articles, but screen resolution vs design is my greatest dilemma. Even this forum is set up for a 1024 wide resolution. But I was castigated the other day for having an 800 wide resolution designed page (nott he site you'll see in my signature) by one of the first Australian computer brains in my country the other day. I checked it with anybrowser and like who still uses such small screen resolutions and why? Apart from the vision impaired, I mean.
    100% guaranteed problem-free screen resolution can be met if you use "Fluid Design" and relative value sizes, as %, instead of absolute value sizes, as pixels.

Though take care that the width of your graphics of one row, should not be all together more than 535 pixels.

With this you have guaranteed also a perfect resolution for WebTV, which width is 544 pixels.

This way you will also achive a print size of a US letter. So you will not need necesseraly make an extra print version page.

Does this help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean that it will display differently for each different resolution?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redcam
    Does this mean that it will display differently for each different resolution?
    It mean's that the page content will fit in every screen, without scrolling horizontally.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts
    Though take care that the width of your graphics of one row, should not be all together more than 535 pixels.

With this you have guaranteed also a perfect resolution for WebTV, which width is 544 pixels.
    Thanks for that tip, you learn something new every day! So basically any graphics you have on your site in any div never exceed that width?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    Thanks for that tip, you learn something new every day! So basically any graphics you have on your site in any div never exceed that width?
    If I understand you right, it is so.

By the way, viewing you web site, I saw the accesibility errors which you could repare and have the W3C-AAA logo instead of W3C-A on your web site.

If you will use relative sizing and positioning (% values) rather than absolute (pixels) and separate adjacent links with more than whitespace.
    And this will result to an enhanced usability!!!

Some enhancements suggestions for backward compatibility:

At line 175: It is recommended (and common practice for HTML (not XHTML) documents) that text contained in a "script" element be enclosed in a comment (<!-- ... -->) for backward compatibility with pre HTML 3.2 browsers that do not support the "script" element. This prevents them from actually displaying the element's content. For example, use something like <script><!-- ... --></script>. For maximum compatibility, AI Internet Solutions recommends putting the script (especially longer scripts) in an external file and using the "src" attribute to specify the external file. However, this is not as important for HTML documents as it is for XHTML documents.

At line 185: The "style" attribute has been used but a default style sheet language has not been defined (note that HTML Validator would not see this declaration if it is sent as an HTTP header by a web server). HTML 4.01 and XHTML require this for valid documents. For example, include this in the "head" section of your document to specify "text/css" as the default style sheet language: <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">. See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/s...#default-style If you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you can add this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

I hope I could help!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks webnauts. So far as my own site, well I haven't made any real effort to increase conformance from "A", it's more an issue of time than anything else as I feel I have most of the knowledge needed to bring any site up to AAA standard. I say most cos as you just demonstrated, I learn something new all the time to make minor improvements.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've requested this thread to be split into a new thread from post #13 onwards http://www.sitepointforums.com/showp...9&postcount=13
    this is only supposed to be a list of resources, not a discussion...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    i've requested this thread to be split into a new thread from post #13 onwards http://www.sitepointforums.com/showp...9&postcount=13
    this is only supposed to be a list of resources, not a discussion...
    If you need more highly recommended resources concerning screen resolutions, I have enough in my favorites. Just ask me!

I will be glad to provide you with them.