SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link Popularity Script or Tutorial

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial that explains the routines required to write a Link Popularity Script?

There are many of these kinds of scripts out there and one of the best can be found at http://www.marketleap.com, but I cannot find any explanations on how the program works.

I am not a coder, but I can modify some scripts until they work, so if I understand what it is doing it should be easy to modify an existing script to do what I want...I guess!

I would like to query the major engines and return the total number of links to a given domain (with a script, that is, I know it can be done manually). I would also like to see what position a site is ranked at for a given keyword.

Any volunteers?

Thanks!

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not actually code it, but I did layout the concept in "Future Directions" of my MVC article here: http://www.phparch.com/issuedata/2003/jun/sample.php
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE='sweatje']I did not actually code it, but I did layout the concept in "Future Directions" of my MVC article here: http://www.phparch.com/issuedata/2003/jun/sample.php[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding. That article makes good reading, but it's not exactly what I am looking for. I think the concept you mention is more suited to a program that rates sites based on votes (or clicks) such as a top-sites ranking application. The script I am looking for needs to simply query the major search engines and return a number based on the amount of links it finds that point to my domain (or any domain I enter in a form).

I admit I failed to read the php or pearl manuals and I barely know the difference between a function and a subroutine, but if you could show me the code snippets that perform the queries and analyze the results and outputs it in a form that makes sense, I will be very happy.

As an example of what I am looking for, let me start with the form. This needs to have check boxes that allow you to select the engines you want: Google, AltaVista, MSN, AllTheWeb, and Inktomi. There will be a text box that allows you to input the domain you want to check. The manual method of checking all of these except MSN is to enter link:domain where domain is the url you want to check. You have to enter linkdomain:domain for MSN.

I need to know how to write the code to perform the queries. The engines return a total and a bunch of links. I need to know how to extract the data ( total ) from this and display the results for each engine. This would give me an idea of how many site have links to me in each engine.

As a bonus I would not mind if it were possible write some code to see what position my site returns at when I check for it in a given engine using a given keyword!

I am sure I missed a lot of details but I hope you or someone else would be kind enough to point me in the right direction here.

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm.....strange that we have around 25,000 members here and only about 50 people though that this thread was worth reading! Guess link popularity is not really as important as I though it to be!

Oh well, for those of you who want to discuss it, I have come up with a simple perl script that I made freely available for download at http://www.webdesignsolution.net/downloads.php and you can see an example at http://www.webdesignsolution.net/linktest.html .

This is a really simple script and it may have errors as I am not sure if that's the way it should be done, but it works fine except that the results are directly from the search engine instead of being formatted and manipulated by the script as I would have preferred. I guess I neet to rtfm on perl network programming for that! Anyway, I know this is the Php forum but there is a method to my madness. Could someone please look at the script and explain how to make the improvements and show how to port it to php? Please don't make me have to read the php manual as well!
    Last edited by NewUser2; Jun 25, 2003 at 19:59.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just went out and bought ten books on php and perl. So now I will teach myself php in 24 hours and learn perl in 21 days, not to mention I'm an official dummy now since I also got perl for dummies!

Hopefully, I'll be able to port my 4 lines of perl code to php soon and even write some 10 line scripts without having to ask for any more for help!

And no, I did not get the sitepoint css book, since nobody took the time to give me any feedback on my attempts at code!