SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I have a question which might seem silly...but I am curious about whether or not browsers and javascript are compatible in some instances even in non-javascript enabled browsers.

Now...I know that might sound stupid, but what I'm specifically wondering is this: I know people sometimes surf javascript capable browsers with script execution shut off. Does this shut off ALL javascript functions from operating, such as redirects in the HEAD section of a page, and bookmarking scripts?

I don't know a whole lot about how the browser engines work, but I'm curious just for general purposes. I mean, if someone turns off Javascript execution, they can still bookmark a page with their browser can't they? If so, are there other ways to interface with the browser engine that will still work with general script executions shut off in the browsers preferences?

Also, does say, setting a browser to not accept cookies affect both PHP and Javascript cookies the same way, or only Javascript cookies? Lastly, does anyone know of a site that deals with various browser engines / scripting / integration issues as they relate to web development?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sean,

At first glance, your questions do look silly.
    On closer examination, though, they bring up some interesting issues

As far as I know, killing javascript in the browser preferences disables the browser's ability to read and interpret javascript (javascript is an interpreted language; unlike c/c++ which are compiled) The browser's "bookmark/add to favorites" feature, however, is not a part of javascript, since it is not executing any code from the site, but simply copying the page's url.

Insofar as redirects in the HEAD section: are you talking about META tags and .htaccess commands? If so, they are HTML, not javascript; therefore, all browsers should be able to read and execute them.

Insofar as cookies: There is a 'accept cookie' preference, so I would presume that if set to 'no', the browser would not accept any, regardless of whether it were written in php, javascript, perl, or any other language. Since it is the acceptance that is being denied the language that is writing and submitting it. However, if you have a php cookie script, test it.

Insofar as other sources: the best browser sources are the horses' mouths, so to speak -- microsoft, netscape, opera, etc. For javascript: http://www.w3.org -- the people who try to set the standards.

Hope I've answered your questions. If you'd like more, please scream (in lower case :-)

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinny,

Thanks for clearing that up, which you did nicely. What I was trying to zero in on was - as you well described - the sorts of differences between a browser simply performing a function such as copying an URL, and how Javascript accessed that browsers engine to make it do just that.

My question about redirects was as far as javascript redirects were concerned. I was wanting to determine a good method to break a frameset out of someone else's, and to insert unframed pages into the proper frame...and had never been clear as to whether disabling javascript in a browsers preference meant that they merely did not execute scripts in the BODY section, or in the HEAD section as well. As long as I've been using Javascript, I've never gone into the whole programming/compiling/interpreted area, being self taught and not having had the formal programming background (I can make it work, and that gets me by 95% of the time, lol).

I've been trying to come up with a solution with PHP or XSSI...as I want a server side method of forcing or breaking frames. I think I may hop over to the server side scripting forum now that the browser/script question is taken care of.

Thanks again for the help. It's greatly appreciated.

Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sean,

Glad to have been of help.
    And regarding self-taught vs formal training -- welcome to the club I've had 1 six-month computer course (PL/C in 1982) and it never seemed to hinder me
    If you want to pick up most of what they teach, pick up a few books (titles are fudged
    1) Codd & Date's DB1
    2) Data Structures in (programming language of your choice)
    3) Charles Petzold's Programming for Windows
    4) Data and Algorythms

Vinny

Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still