SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For you people who said your vote doesn't count.

According to the first Florida count Bush is the next president of the united states by 1785 votes. Now of course Gore has contested this and they are recounting but that is just how close it is.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Florida state law requires all elections where the margin is less than 10% to be automatically recounted by hand.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what Wayne says. I'm no Gore fan, but Florida state law caused the re-count. However, I thought it was for less than 1/2%.

ABC News says:
    Florida election law requires a vote recount if the margin of difference is less than one half of one percent.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point is less than 2000 votes are going to decide who the next president is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and not recounted by hand either, but by computer. So says CNN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course by computer. There are 5.8 million ballots to recount.

And I agree totally--everybody who didn't vote should be ashamed of themselves, unless they liked Gore.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you know that florida still has paper ballots, I found that pretty funny. Here in conneticut we use those machines which were probably made in the 60's, but still can you imagine paper ballots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the precint I live in uses paper ballots. According to the news clip I seen, George W used a paper ballot to cast his vote. In fact, I think most precints in the US still use paper, although, the paper is feed through an electronic scanner that tallies the votes.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We still use paper ballots in California. They are testing a touch screen system though in various locations....

As for the hand vote, it is just what I heard on the radio last night. Don't have broadcast television in the home so no CNN or MSNBC or none of that stuff...

Since I don't have television, this is the first time I have voted without being inundated about guesses and predictions of the outcome which make you wonder if you really made the right choice. I didn't see or hear any election results until after voting.

I will admit that while waiting for Dinner at the restaurant last night, we were surfing the net, on my cell phone, going between CNN, MSNBC and GO2NEWS to check election results. Imagine 4 adults trying to share a 1.5 by 1.5 inch screen to look at the results.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only have paper ballots here in the UK.

Somehow I'm happier with that as it SEEMS to be less tamper-with-able (new word?)

Mind you, we are much smaller!
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I'm fairly sure that Bush will be the next president.

But this brings up an important point, if Bush does win then he will have won without a majority of the popular votes. If this happens you will see alot of outcry about the electoral college.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The election is just so incredibly close and there will be so much doubt in everything that goes on now in Florida (end elsewhere). America is divided about equally in support for the candidates but there can only be one president and he will probably be subject to a lot of critizism and doubt.

I was up very late watching the news networks and these people were just making up the broadcasts as they went along, and it was funny! At one point there was a little fire in the ABC studio! Cool live TV! This is an incredible elction!

-Nick

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FROM ABC NEWS:
    After a roller coaster election day where Florida’s 25 electoral votes apparently swung from Al Gore to George Bush and then back into the toss-up category, Bush now leads the state by 1,784 votes out of more than 5.8 million cast, well under the legal limit of one half of 1 percent needed to trigger an automatic recount.
    Still too close to call. But I was looking at the ABC News site, and it looks to me as if Bush has a better chance of winning than Gore, since he's favored too win Florida and Oregon. But it really doesn't matter who wins Oregon, since whoever wins Florida wins the election...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah! Everybody knows Oog the Caveman is the real winner in this election.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next President is George W. Bush. Think about it. He was winning Florida before the recount and I don't think the margin of error will be so drastic that Gore will overthrow him. And on the subject of all of the absentee ballets, I think most of them are from people from the Army, Navy, etc. overseas, and they are mostly pro-Bush.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the good of our nation, lets hope that Gore is the next President. Bush will a wage a war simply by what he says. For chrissake, he called Greeks, Greetians.

Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's probably saying "Grecians."
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bush is totally inarticulate, but Gore is an andriod - pick your poisen Paul. Gore is desperate - yes, the recount is necessary, but expect a lawsuit. Try to imagine a president taking office on a lawsuit - he'd be awfully unpopular. I think this is all triggered by the fact that Bush has a position and job to go back to if he loses...Gore has been waiting for this a very long time.

I am a mega-Bush supporter, and am convinced he will take the election - and you'll see a lot of good things happen. I'm especially happy about his social security plan. Risky scheme? C'mon.

Go Bush...with the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives, some things will finally get done.

I just hope Alec Baldwin is true to his word!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M. James, I've heard that the foreign military vote for Bush might be countered by the foreign Jewish vote for Gore.

I'm British so it doesn't effect me directly (although everyone knows that if America sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold etc.) but the fact of the matter is that McCain would be a better President than both of them. Admittedly my political knowledge of the US is limited to what I can get my hands on over here (two-thirds through a Politics degree at Durham, religiously reading the Economist each week etc.), but it seems to me that he was the only political heavyweight out of all the candidates - the only one that others in a summit would sit up and pay instant attention to. They'd respect the man, not just the position, which is what they'll probably do with Bush and Gore.

Just MHO. :
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and don't forget who the governor of the only state with electoral problems is, and who his brother is :
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by OllieO
    Oh, and don't forget who the governor of the only state with electoral problems is, and who his brother is :
    AH, but the problem area was cause by a ballot which was designed and APPROVED by a DEMOCRAT
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There IS actually a lawsuit which has been recently filed by three Palm Beach County residents in Florida, claiming that they were mislead by the ballots they used, and marked Pat Buchanan instead of Al Gore (I think that there were somewhere around 3,000 votes apparently messed up because of this?). I'm not certain how much of the Florida vote Buchanan got, but it was more than anyone expected...

They interviewed the woman who designed the ballots, as well as one of the residents who filed the lawsuit. While the design was somewhat misleading, you're supposed to read the ballots before you go merrily punching holes in them! They've even got arrows pointing to the correct place..

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to CNN.com Gore is catching up fast
    He's already gained over 1000 votes on the recount and its only just half done...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19,200 ballots in Palm Beach County, Florida were mismarked and discarded by the Florida state Election commitee. Whether it is a case of misalignment or a case of ignorant voters is still to be decided.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bush is up by 921 with 51 of the 67 in - and let's not forget the absentees. Bush clearly seems to have more, the lawsuit is all that can change that. I expect him to lead by several thousands after the absentees.

How popular will Gore be if a lawsuit is what gets him in? Geez.

And worst of all: now the Gore camp is complaning that he won the popular vote, calling his loss in electoral votes as a "technicality" - which is total bull! If you don't like the system, you can't go along with it and complain afterwards.