User Tag List

Thread: No more IE/Mac?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No more IE/Mac?

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...4/0442228&tid=

So Microsoft isn't releasing any major versions of IE/Mac anymore, they're not developing IE except as a part of Windows. My question is this: What the hell is Microsoft doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awaiting the Death of the Browser?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...et10142001.asp

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the only way they can justify it as part of the OS. If it isn't available separately then how can they be bundling?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing's been on the wall for this since Safari came out. They probably gave Apple advance warning.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jofa
    I have to hand it to Microsoft: that is a brilliant idea. Really: Developers get as much power as they want when designing an application, users get to use that power without having to worry about installing etc. Beutiful.

Here is an example: You go to Mozilla.org. The first download it offers is a program to manage downloading and installing Mozilla, not Mozilla itself. Microsoft's idea: cut out the first step, going to Mozilla.org and having to work out which file you want. Next, cut out the install part: Users don't need to know that programs go into the programs files directory, hell, they don't even need to know there is a program files directory, infact, they don't even need to know what a directory is. Next, they cut out the dowloading part: when you click to run the program from the internet, (link preinstalled in your start menu, think about the "add" part in the add remove programs icon in your control panel) it could say, run the profiles manager, so you can start setting the thing up as it streams in down your broadband connection.

Come to think of it, it sounds a bit like Linux. I go to the "Install packages" program, search, find what I want, check it to say "I want" and a few minutes later it (hopefully) runs.

And you know what? The really clever part. All those open source programs I can install just by typing in the address of a package server, well, they don't work in windows either, do they?

Really, you can't say Microsoft is stupid, though they may be a little slow

The only part not directly covered is information delivery, things like news etc. But what about RSS readers? It's the semantic web. And don't forget: Microsoft supports the W3C too.

Later,
    Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    It is the only way they can justify it as part of the OS. If it isn't available separately then how can they be bundling?
    Well, I really covered it in the last post, but that is what I realised when reading the "Death of the browser" thing: If Microsoft is thinking as I said above, then improvements will need to be made to make an auto-downloading software system work. I don't think there ever will be an IE7, not even in Longhorn, atleast as an HTML browser.

Douglas

Edit:

The top post when I clicked back to the Web Design forum: "Frustrating Compatibility Issues" Its telling, I tell you. And another thing: Microsoft Visual Studio is a hell of alot more expensive than Notepad.
    Hello World