SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Please review my Active-Wear store for a start-up!

Hi everyone,

So this is a Wordpress Site and is my first shot at a commercial website. Please let me know what you see, don't see, would want to see

Thanks!

P.S. The "Store" is made on Shopify by modifying the code. So its on a completely different platform that I had to try to mimic. Some stuff like the slideshow doesn't work based on shopify limitations:/

www.activechick.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty good. What modifications did you make in Shopify exactly? Was it just adding the slideshow on the home page? I know some shopify themes have slideshows like that. I'm actually writing a review and doing a video walkthrough on Shopify today after playing around with it for a couple weeks. It's a great system.

Here's a couple thoughts after a quick look at your site.

• The header is a little busy. Why not remove the Active Chick text in the middle since it's in the logo anyway. I think that blue text dominates a bit too much and looks a little plain. You could leave the tagline "specialty gear..." in the middle where it is.
    • The slideshow looks pretty good but it takes up a lot of prime space on every page without really communicating much of anything. I'd rather only have it on the home page and have it highlight products and allow people to click on it to view products. Right now, the only way for people to find your products is by clicking on the ActiveShop link. It would be good to give them more ways to land on your products page from the home page.
    • There's something weird going on with the link area of the nature conservancy logo

Hope that helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I re-coded some liquid files on shopify so that it would mimic the look of the activechick store. I expanded the header dimensions, changed the background files, photoshopped the navigation bar blue etc. If you work with shopify and wordpress you'll be able to tell that building the sites was ground up on both.

The slideshow is in the header so it has to appear on each page. The time delay for it to prime is an issue but not sure how to fix it since its in the header so probably can't.

Thank you for the review though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WebEminence View Post
    Looks pretty good. What modifications did you make in Shopify exactly? Was it just adding the slideshow on the home page? I know some shopify themes have slideshows like that. I'm actually writing a review and doing a video walkthrough on Shopify today after playing around with it for a couple weeks. It's a great system.

Here's a couple thoughts after a quick look at your site.

• The header is a little busy. Why not remove the Active Chick text in the middle since it's in the logo anyway. I think that blue text dominates a bit too much and looks a little plain. You could leave the tagline "specialty gear..." in the middle where it is.
    • The slideshow looks pretty good but it takes up a lot of prime space on every page without really communicating much of anything. I'd rather only have it on the home page and have it highlight products and allow people to click on it to view products. Right now, the only way for people to find your products is by clicking on the ActiveShop link. It would be good to give them more ways to land on your products page from the home page.
    • There's something weird going on with the link area of the nature conservancy logo

Hope that helps

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chgeorge,

I agree with webeminence, take the “active chick” text out of the top center. Its redundant and detracts from other elements of the page.
    I would also make the tag line smaller and move it under the logo. That would balance out the header a little more.
    I’m not sure how I feel about the nature conservancy logo. I get that perhaps it is a part of this company and their commitment to the environment however it is out of place. I would put stuff like that in the footer or out of the way somewhere. It doesn’t look like it is supposed to be essential to the brand. The site appears to be about being active and not helping the environment.

Work on making your menu below the banner stand out more. It gets lost in everything else. Try a larger bolder fond for the text in the menu items. Make a gradient and use that as the background. I would take the link to home out of there as well. A common web convention is to have the logo linked to the home page and people definitely don’t need to see it if they are home any way.

The linked text “help save the planet – Shop active chick” also gets lost. If you are wanting people to see that and click on it, I would make it more prominent and make it a button and not a link.

Lastly, the different logos are a cool idea for the different activities but the problem is they all look the same. When I first saw them I though the page was still being developed and those were test logos or something. I would find a way to make them look different. I would also organize them in a different way than the square you have going on right now.

Check out this book.

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=g1QBFJxB_eEC
    It’s a fast read and it has tons of good information on web conventions and design and usability. It will help show you some common mistakes you might be making.

Hope those suggestions help,

Shawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad points:

>Worst load time
    > Confusing - have to spend some to look for my particular category
    >Again - that category page has loading problem
    >Un-attractive product images

Good:
    >Inventory / categories
    Bullet proof corporate website design services,
    tailored to your specific needs - Said by sticker baby

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First your logo looks dull, Categories your products properly,Use attractive color combination and sharp images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo is a little fuzzy as is the picture on the left, Embrace Life. Take the Risk.

And I would remove the WordPress text and link from the bottom right hand corner.

I would then but your products on the home page and remove the square blocks going into the different sections of the site. That should be on the left hand side of the page and not dominating the main section of the web page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Starting from top to bottom of the page:
    1. I like the logo
    2. The background image is of low resolution and may be you should go without it.
    3. The fonts throughout remind me of a word document and feel quite unemotional. Especially the ones in the navigation menu.
    4. I really like the idea with the category buttons looking like the logo. Their arrangement and style are not easy on the eye though.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to website design and crafting an overall user experience, you have to focus on a few elements. You will lose the reader when you try to do too many things at once. The overall design looks disjointed. You are trying to accomplish so many things at once. The background outdoor image takes away
    from the power of the central elements.The sliders are disjointed and don't really tie-in to the central theme of your site. Even your central
    theme is confused-are you helping people achieve a better lifestyle? Or are you saving the planet?

The static side image for the slider is also problematic. It says 'go for it' but the sliders are all over the place. I would focus on a cleaner design and a more focused approach. Also, the cartoon icons don't cut it. This is one clear example where throwing too many things at the viewer ends up in confusion and absolutely no brand identity.

Do the following

1) Sit down and figure out what your brand's values are

2) Figure out how your design can push those brand values forward

3) Figure out how your logo design can push those brand values forward

4) Figure out how your header design can push those brand values forward

SitePoint Enthusiast ReferralCandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey chgeorge,

I must say your website is a good attempt for your first shot at building an ecommerce site! Its great that you are working on a blog and a social media presence - these are essential in engaging the public and creating brand awareness. I also particularly like how your products are categorised under different personalities, which makes it easy for customers to identify themselves with a specific personality!

However, I do think there's still more work to be done in perfecting your store. On top of the suggestions mentioned above in the read, may I suggest the following:

1) Cleaner product photos. You should use a standard background (eg. white) when taking product photos, and crop it with a fixed dimension before uploading to your store. At present, the product pages look a bit messy with photos of different sizes and colours, which doesn't look professional.

2) Aligned About Us page. Most first-time visitors to your e-store may not know what you are exactly selling, and would visit the "About Us" page next. At present, the alignment of the copy in the "About Us" page looks disjointed, making it hard for visitors to read. You might want to re-consider the number of images used and align the text properly.

3) Better organised home page. It is not clear from first sight that the categories below the menu bar are clickable. You might want to indicate somewhere with a caption that goes something like "Click on the category that suits you to view the products we can offer you!". Moreover, I see that you have a gallery page with photos of satisfied customers using your product. I really like that idea, but I think you can achieve more effect with it by placing the gallery on the home page.

Good luck with your store and let us know how you're getting on!

- Aaron

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Nice job! Just a few initial responses:

I'm not sure I like the slideshow. I was confused at first and thought that the pictures were pop-ups. I think your better off choosing one of the pictures with some text saying embrace life, take the risk.
    I'm not sure what the Nature Conservency image at the top-right has to do with the site. Maybe put this on another page with links?
    I think your menu bar would be better off on top of the slide show. It might be more eye catching if you built a little more contrast with the text. Maybe slightly bigger, bolder, or a white color would contrast against the blue.
    I couldn't really navigate well around the site, but I take it you are still working on it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Your website looks good.
    But, you can make it look more professional.
    The logos of your product arrangement is good, but they are very small and not visible easily.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some nice elements to the design but here is what I'd suggest.

1. The panels saying 'Dance chick' etc are cool but the text is kind of small. I would increase the size of the panels and give them a more modern look, reduce the distance between them. They could also be made more of a feature on the page.
    2. Most of the stuff that people will want to see is below the fold. And the menu system under the picture is hard to see because of the text color. It looks like you're giving more exposure to relatively unimportant stuff like Contact Us and Customer Service, when you should be getting people shopping much more quickly instead.
    3. There are no special offers etc. In fact it's not immediately obvious that it is a shop at all.

Hope this helps!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my first 2 second impression was, what does the big text do next to your logo, and why is it blurry.
    Next thing my eye dropped was the 'Proudly powered by Wordpress" please get rid of that. Last comment, when I went to the shop I lost your menu because it changes colour. In my opinion, your menu is the thread through your page, it doesn't really matter where it is but it needs to be visible and consistent at all time.
    For the rest, the loading speed was fine and category view was clear and easy to navigate to product view
    Keep up the good work =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of food feedback above.

It looks as though you are using 2 separate sites.

On the Wordpress site there is a horizontal scroll bar (on my monitor anyway) looks to be caused from <div id="gear2">for Active Women</div> - it's in the top right of the site.

When into the Shopify section of the site, the logo is no longer a link back to the homepage (just had another look and see the top half of the page pretty much, is an image - guess that's what you meant by not being able to get the slideshow to work).

A lot of stuff has been mentioned above so I'll leave that for now.

Good luck with the site.