User Tag List

Thread: MP3 or .wav

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question MP3 or .wav

Which is best to use to keep the file size of a flash movie small MP3 or .wav
    Ive been using .wav as some one told me flash compresses it more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "When incorporating sound, use MP3 files, the smallest sound format, whenever possible."

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...tm#performance

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They mean when publishing in that Technote. If you mean when importing LAV, then a wav could be better quality. That's not a given though.

It doesn't matter what you import in though. As long as your publish settings are right Flash will indeed squash everything for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally believe it's dependant on the use. If they are short sound fx, I use WAV settings and let flash compress accordingly. Background loops and music samples benefit greatly from MP3 compression (16kbps for tolerable and 32/64kbps for higer quality)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a second. I was always under the impression that whatever the quality and type of your import audio, Flash would compress according to the publish settings. In other words, it wouldn't matter whether you imported compressed mp3s or wavs in to Flash editor. They would always publish according to Flash settings. Therefore I fail to see the benefit at import of selecting a different format.

I can however see the benefit of compressing short SFX wavs/mp3s less on export to retain quality by using different settings for your event sounds compression and streamed sounds compression. Is this what you meant?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually import wav files into Flash then let the Flash engine do the mp3 encoding. If you use an mp3 which is already compressed you are compressing twice and therefore loosing a quality...

Another idea is to downsample your wav using a high quality audio editing program which will do a better job than Flash... then use Flash to compress to the required bitrate.

And always set the compression quality to best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Sound Forge is often given away as part of a bundle these days (not 6, but Sound Forge 4) and it's very good for this sort of thing....

G