User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Application Design

Hi,
    I am about to design a simple PHP backend application that will display the contents of a members database for a site I am doing. Basically, I am storing members and member information. Apart from information like name, email, address etc, I am also storing the financial status of each member (i.e. a simple yes/no or true/false field) to determine if they paid their subscription or not. When I am displaying the entire database list on the website, I want to have the functionality of displaying only those members who have paid their dues. In addition, I want to do other things like display a custom page for each member showing their picture and other info.

Now I have few questions and a few limitations I want to put on myself for this design i.e. I want it to be object oriented. OOP was the way I learnt programming first, and I want to make reusable components for other projects later on. My questions are:

1.0 Is having the financial status field set up above the best way to do this in terms of performance?
    2.0 Anyone has any ideas about the OOP design for this project?
    3.0 Are there any components/classes already existing that I can use for my project e.g. for database access and pagniating the results etc.? It would be helpful seeing that I would not have to write these from scratch.

If anyone has any useful comments on the design of this application, please feel free to offer your advice.

Umesh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help please :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. hmmmmmm up to you, depends how it works, it maybe worth having two tables one for users and one for payments details including date starting date ending and link to user. In terms of performance, your talking about tinywinyinssywincy little differences in performance, querying a decent database is fast.

2. Have a look at some of the articles on sitepoint there are some goodun's about OOP.

3. use google?
    Laws are like sausages. You have much more respect for them if you haven't actually seen how they're made.

http://www.webamoeba.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by mythix
    3. use google?
    I really hate seeing responses like this to questions like this. Google is a search-engine, not a recommendation engine - by design it sacrifices relevancy for recall. Google will help you find "php library database pagination" but not "good library database pagination"(actually it will probably point you to PEAR
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I use Goole but I get so many hits that I don't know what to choose. That is why I asked for a recommendation of php classes that people use that they find to be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by upersad
    1.0 Is having the financial status field set up above the best way to do this in terms of performance?
    I'd put it in as a flag in the member table unless you're using teh same databse for financial details.
    2.0 Anyone has any ideas about the OOP design for this project?
    Take a look at PHPatterns and see what you can come up with. Take specific looks at DAOs and MVC.
    3.0 Are there any components/classes already existing that I can use for my project e.g. for database access and pagniating the results etc.? It would be helpful seeing that I would not have to write these from scratch.
    Eclipse is a very good library for this and is written by SPF member voostind.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PEAR ? Isn't that a constipated Apple ? How I see it anyways...