SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Illustrator to Photoshop?

I just recently got illustrator 10 and i'm wanting to take my paths into photoshop. The main thing i'm wanting to do is create my paths in illustrator inorder to use them in photoshop because illustrator is so much more powerful and easy to use than ps to do this.

I would like to use my paths as Photoshop Custom Shape's but it seems that it isn't working as planned. The way i'm doing it now which is not producing good results is exporting the path as a .psd file from illustrator, opening it in photoshop, highlighting the selection and then converting the selection to a path. When i use this method my paths become very bumpy and not near as crisp as they were in illustrator.

Now i can get one layer of illustrator in ps and define it as a custom shape and it looks great, but i can't do this with Multiple layers.

Is there anyway i can combine my layers in illustrator to where i would still have an outline path? Any suggestions would be great, Thanks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copy

Hi there,

Have you tried copying and pasting your paths from Illustrator to Photoshop?

When you got to paste, it will ask if you want to "Paste as, Pixels, Paths, or Shape Layer"

This should preserve the quality of your Illustrator Paths, and be a bit quicker than waiting for Illustrator to export to .psd.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,
    Michael Wisniach
    3rd Cherry Designs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant you just open the .ai file in photoshop with the paths preserved? (havent used illustrator in a while so im not sure about this, but its what i would try)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MG315's suggestion sounds like the right one -- I uninstalled Illustrator when I did a reformat -- and haven't installed it yet (playing with Fireworks right now!), but it seems as though all of Adobe's software is cross-compatible to a certain degree....
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.