SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. Recently, I've became interested in CGI Scripts. I've downloaded Matt's formmail CGI script (http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/formmail.shtml)
    , but have no idea on installing it. My server gives me this information -

Your full directory path for use in cgi/php scripts is:
    /web/sites/xxx/xxx/www.xxxx.xxx.com

I have absolutly no experience with CGI, or Perl, can somebody tell me what to place and where to upload onto my server?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need me to install for you you may just e-mail it to me.

Or maybe you can just use some instant form that is avaible rather then learning it.

You need to install the script in the cgi-bin and change the config file and upload it to the server. Remember to chomd it to the right one.That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had trouble setting up a guestbook script but eventually got it to work. I recommend you persevere until you can get it right. You need to learn on basic things so when faced with other scripts you have some idea. Usually the scripts have information telling you what to change. Try it if you have problems figuring out the right path then post the variable and ask us what should be in there.

One thing I did was set up a dummy opening page so that I didn't have to mess with the real one until it worked. say indextest.html or .shtml if the form is called by SSI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the script comes with detailed instruction (since all Matt's script are for beginners)
    Try to follow them step by step, if you encount a problem, post it here, we could help with the problem instead of doing the thing that the readme file could do better.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions , people. I'll spent some figuring it out...this reminds me when i first got into HTML...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things I always advise to people new to CGI/Perl scripts, as they apply 99% of the time when using a Unix/Linux Server:

1. the first line of any script should be: #!/usr/bin/perl (also known as "the shebang")

2. always make sure to upload in ASCII format

3. always upload to the /cgi-bin directory

4. use an FTP program that allows you set/change permission, or sometimes called attribute, of the file/script

The above will save you from a lot of "beginner errror(s)" when learning the language.

HTH

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let it throw you, Iron... you'll sweat it out the first time 'round, but after that you'll know how to do it. It really isn't difficult.

For the record: check the doc on the path to Perl. That shebang! can be in somewhat different locations on different servers.