SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just installed a new ISP only to find it has decided to customise my version of IE. I know that to get rid of the icons provided by the ISP it is a question of deleting some files. I have done this before but cannot remember where they are located. Can anyone help me out? I am getting really frustrated by all manners of animated gifs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would drive me nuts! Did you contact your ISP and let them have it?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is common practice in the UK, they ALL do it. I have deleted them before but I can't remember how!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and see if there is a "Setup" directory. Delete this directory.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    I have just installed a new ISP only to find it has decided to customise my version of IE.
    Just out of curiosity: in what way did the ISP customize IE?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ISP did this as well..they add their own icons, toolbar backgrounds and change the title bar to "Microsoft Internet Explorer Provided By..." - not very nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember MSN doing this to my IE. I had to live with their MSN icon in IE and the IE title bar always saying "Microsoft Internet Explorer brought to you by MSN"... I just edited it in my registry and it is fixed. I did a search for that text and simply edited a windows title bar file that showed up in the results.

It's a crime what these ISPs do. Heck, I still can't get rid of that MSN icon on my desktop.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames86
    I remember MSN doing this to my IE. I had to live with their MSN icon in IE and the IE title bar always saying "Microsoft Internet Explorer brought to you by MSN"... I just edited it in my registry and it is fixed. I did a search for that text and simply edited a windows title bar file that showed up in the results.

It's a crime what these ISPs do. Heck, I still can't get rid of that MSN icon on my desktop.
    I tried removing the setup folder and that did not work. James, please give me detailed instructions on how to edit the registry. Theoretically though, I should be able to delete these icons from my hardrive so that they do not show up.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes...I use MSN and parts of IE were transformed.

To change the title bar:
    Start: Run: "regedit"
    Edit: Find

Type in text like "Provided by" and include what is on the title bar of IE. Click Find and you should be brought to an entry. If you think it is the correct entry to change, do so. I am not sure if you need to restart or not.

Be careful in the registry!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure you don't need to restart Windows...but you do need to restart IE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to use Netscape, which I do at work anyway, and can you believe it has done it to Netscape too? Will it work if I reinstall Netscape and IE?

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw this same question asked on TechTV last night... on the show "Call for Help"
    Go to http://www.techtv.com

and click on Call for Help and look at the archive/shows and the answer is in right there.

<EDIT---I just found it and figured it would be useful>

Removing Earthlink customization

Randy from Tulsa, Oklahoma no longer uses Earthlink, and he wants to get rid of the Earthlink browser customizations. To change the bookmarks you need to delete them and recreate, or right click and rename them.

To change the Browser title bar use Tweak Revisited or X-Teq Setup. Or use the program below.

To remove the Earthlink throbber (the pulsing icon in the upper right corner of the browser window) use a program called Internet Explorer Personalizer.

[Edited by HyperBaseball on 11-08-2000 at 09:41 PM]
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    I decided to use Netscape, which I do at work anyway, and can you believe it has done it to Netscape too? Will it work if I reinstall Netscape and IE?
    It did it to Netscape, too? That stinks, IE was only messed up for me. Anyway, I think Aidan beat me too it, sorry! I just went into the registry from typing "regedit" into the Find on my computer and then did a search for "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by MSN" (of course that would be different to whatever yours says) and then found a Windows Title Bar file in the results, and changed the title bar to just "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I bravely faced my registry and modified the title bar text. I am currently downloading the Internet Explorer Personaliser and hopefully I should be able to do something with that. Will let everyone know how I get on!