SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used DWMX (But we don't mention that ), EditPlus and Kommodo. I currently use EditPlus because it produces great text output for everything, unlike DWMX (Try opening a file via SAMBA that is on a Linux system, and then saving it.. It majorly FUBAR's the file!). Kommodo good, but it is kinda slow and you can only open one file at a time (At least last summer) and it has no built-in FTP..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viflux
    Try htmlkit.
    I've been using it recently, but the tabs are killing me. Tab once and it goes over normal spacing, tab again and it's like 4 times as far over! It's all screwy. But I like the syntax coloring

On my Mac I always use Hydra, good syntax coloring etc. I rarely need anything other than that in a text editor. Any good apps on a PC for basic text editing and syntax coloring?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world,
    those who can read binary and those who can't.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk
    I've been using it recently, but the tabs are killing me. Tab once and it goes over normal spacing, tab again and it's like 4 times as far over! It's all screwy. But I like the syntax coloring

On my Mac I always use Hydra, good syntax coloring etc. I rarely need anything other than that in a text editor. Any good apps on a PC for basic text editing and syntax coloring?
    I rather like EditPlus on the PC.. I used to use BBEdit for OS X back when I was a Macie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk
    I've been using it recently, but the tabs are killing me. Tab once and it goes over normal spacing, tab again and it's like 4 times as far over!
    Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Editor and clear the 'Columns' box next to the Tab Stop option.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA_X
    Kommodo good, but it is kinda slow and you can only open one file at a time (At least last summer) and it has no built-in FTP..
    You can still open only one window (which is annoying on multiple desktops), but multiple files has always been OK (not what you meant, right?).

It has remote debugging and a whole load of stuff under the surface. i wish they would do the last bit of spit and polish though, there are some silly default preferences. I find I have to restart it periodicaly on Windows or it just gets slower and slower. It certainly isn't worth the $200 for the professional licence.

yours, Marcus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the list of editors taken from the Zend's recent questionnaire:
    1. VI/VIM
    2. Notepad
    3. Textpad
    4. Zend Studio
    5. PHPEdit
    6. Komodo
    7. UltraEdit
    8. Edit Plus
    9. Nusphere
    10. Maguma
    11. Emacs
    12. PHP-Dev
    13. HTML Edit with PHP Plugin
    14. Eclipse with Plugin
    15. Dreamweaver
    16. Quanta
    17. Homesite

Maybe it helps someone in testing or... at least gives an overview of ... what is available. sry, if it's a bit offtopic or so...

- MarekS -

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cagrET
    http://www.editplus.com

for professionals only [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    i second that

public static void brain Gybbyl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use either Quanta+ or SciTE. I find that Quanta+ is a lot like DWMX in many ways -- the ability to do ftp stuff and upload your file (that's the best part of DWMX, imho). SciTE is a really powerful SMALL editor; it has built in support for tons of languages, and all of the configuration is done thru files, so you really have more control. You can fold loops/classes/methods, and you can also set it to compile with a quick keystroke (not that you would be compiling php, but for perl/python/c it's really handy).

If you are looking for Lightweight, try SciTE. If you are someone looking for a free alternative to DWMX, then go with Quanta: you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you need a debugger for PHP, try dbg. But why would you? There are only runtime errors, no compile errors, so they really aren't hard to find, especially if you have syntax highlighting turned on.

Vi is also really efficient, if you want to spend like 5 years of your life learning shortcuts and commands. ;]

And then there's Emacs... wtf.
    Ryan