SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all,

I discovered a program called "WebDrive" yesterday, it lets you map an FTP site to a Windows drive letter.
    It appears to Windows and all Windows apps as a normal drive, so you can open files directly from your ftp site with your html editor. This removes the need for an ftp program
    Obviously file-copy/save/open operations are slower but it works really well!
    The only drawback is that its not free, I think the full version costs $30 or so. You can download a demo from the site to try it out though!

Hope that helps someone!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 98 and higher has a similar utility available. It is called Web Folders. You can download it free off the Windows Update site. Fully integrates FTP sites into your Explorer drive list.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

That programmes looks very usefull as I have always had trouble with connection to ftp sites with Web Folders. Maybee someone could help me out here?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to include the URL...sorry about that. It is http://www.riverfrontsoftware.com
    Enjoy!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    Do you know if it matters what platform the server is.
    I am using dreamweaver and sometimes I have problems uploading to linux server.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    Windows 98 and higher has a similar utility available. It is called Web Folders. You can download it free off the Windows Update site. Fully integrates FTP sites into your Explorer drive list.
    I used to use Web Folders a lot back in Win98 days. Now in WinMe, I don't see Web Folders in "My Computer". Anyone know where it was moved? Or has it been removed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you re-install Internet Explorer 5.5, you will have an option to install Web Folders.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you re-install Internet Explorer 5.5, you will have an option to install Web Folders.
    WinMe comes with IE 5.5...I need to install it again?

Originally posted by necrominator
    You can also get it from the microsoft update site.
    I take it you mean WindowsUpdate. As I said before, I am running WinMe. I have all of the very few updates available to WinMe so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For WinME, reinstalling IE 5.5 is the only way I know of to install WebFolders. You may be able to look in your Add/Remove Programs control panel and find it under the various Windows Components that aren't installed during a typical install. I haven't used WinME so I am not sure about that. Worth a shot though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'll keep hunting around in the Control Panel...a reinstillation of IE could mean my computer would actually crash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, but for web folders to work, you have to have microsoft front page extensions installed on the server

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see that as a problem because I have never seen a host that didn't offer them. It seems like good business sense to offer a free feature to your customers especially when over 70 million people could want that feature in the United States alone.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you need frontpage extentions for mywebfolders to work? i though about installing them but if they require extension that its pointless, frontpage extentions is filled with security flaws, remember the backdoor that microsoft left - nectscape programers are wennies?
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure you need frontpage extentions for mywebfolders to work? i though about installing them but if they require extension that its pointless, frontpage extentions is filled with security flaws, remember the backdoor that microsoft left - nectscape programers are wennies?
    According to a tracert on your domain name, your hosting company already has Frontpage extensions installed on your account. Therefore any security risks are already present on your website. Everything that allows you access to your website and the computer it resides on is a potential security risk. If your password is less than 14 characters long and contains at least one valid dictionary word, anyone can get into your site in less than a day, even less if you use telnet outside a firewall. I have a utility at work that can crack any 7 digit password in 20 minutes or less, so don't think any technology is immune.

You really should know what your talking about before you post and you should make your posts more beneficial. Your small, self-promotional posts to drive your post count up aren't impressing anyone. You had expressed desire at one time to become an Advisor and I personally wouldn't want you representing this site or anyother until you can say something intelligent.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that my site has frontpage extentions installed, because i thought that my host doesnt offer them, ill check them out.

Second although peoples posts are long, it doesnt mean that they are good, often you see long posts which are just plain boring beyong belief, I happen to think that short posts are much more prefferable to long ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, thats why i dont like them. they just take up room and are annoying.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you hear about that backdore that microsoft programers left in them? I found it kind of funny, and tipical for microsoft.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your password is less than 14 characters long and contains at least one valid dictionary word, anyone can get into your site in less than a day, even less if you use telnet outside a firewall. I have a utility at work that can crack any 7 digit password in 20 minutes or less, so don't think any technology is immune.
    Now what would you need one of those for. But seriously a good hard to crack passwork is very important. I ahve seen some of these programs at work (not to cause damage of course) but if you have a password that is a word in any dictionary your password will be cracked in no time. I personally use a password that is at least 10 digits and contains both numbers and letters. I use a random password generator to give me these passwords as then they are no way related to me. Even with a passwork like this I am still not totally safe, there are still programmes that methodically will work out any password and whats scarey in the speed it can do it. I don't think we ever will be untill retina scanning equipment comes standard with every computer. In the past people have told me there passwords and they are lucky every Tom, **** or Harry hasn't get into there e-mail or site etc. Some example I have seen are their phone number, date of brith, favourite something or other (which anyone that knows you slightly could easily guess) and I think the worst one I have seen yet is letmein which is something I used to use just when I was annoyed at the computer when trying to guess friends passwords

Be Afraid, Be very Affraid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its for work.. End-users assign passwords on their NT boxes and they forget them. Most times its easier to crack them then to wait for the Network Admin in Topeka to change it for us.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------