User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question I need help with a CMS / Portal layout with CSS

Hi guys,
    Update - I think I found a workable solution to my problem - but if you know your way around CSS I'd still appreciate any comments. Thanks!

OK - I've been working through the first few chapters of Sitepoint's cool new book on CSS, and I'm trying to modify one of the CSS templates from bluerobot.com to resemble a typical portal or CMS type website. I have three nice columns that work like I want them to, but I'm having trouble with the header and footer I've added and trying to get them to "stretch" with the page and not exceed the width of the other columns. I'd like to be able to set a minimum width (say 750 px) and then have it stretch to accomodate greater resolutions.

Here's a link to my example: http://www.ravedesigns.com/css_test.html(all the code's there -CSS and HTML)

If you have a minute to look at my code I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. It's probably a really simple thing, but since I'm just learning CSS I'm really struggling with this one.

Much thanks!

Steve

Last edited by Ravedesigns; Jun 6, 2003 at 10:27.
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

********* and Coffee Addict SmellTheCoffee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve,
    That looks pretty good! I am getting ready to do the same with STC. I'll let you know if I learn anything of value. I might just break down and buy that book. Seems like it would be a great resource.

John
    "Your Internet Coffee Filter"

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John, thanks!

My next challenge is to see how well that all CSS layout would work using SSI's for the side columns and the header and footer. I figure it's worth a shot trying to work it out in CSS, and if all else fails I can always go back to tables. :-)

Have a great weekend,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

********* and Coffee Addict SmellTheCoffee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez,
    I think I have been posting too much. I am starting to get all my threads mixed up. I thought you just replied on another thread but realized after it was a completely different topic. Probably time to drink a beer and relax for the weekend.

Yeah, I think SSI's should work fine. I use them on my site with various levels of CSS. ie. my sidebars are all SSI pulling in text files with styles that link into my global style sheet. Seems to work pretty well.

Have a great weekend too!

John
    "Your Internet Coffee Filter"