SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat Screen monitors?

I am getting me a beautiful brand new computer , a DELL XPS. Well, one of the options is a flat panel monitor. Ultra Sharp I believe is part of the name, anyway, how well are those for viewing graphics (ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, FIREWORKS) or whatever. I have heard two arguments. One is, that the standard monitor (BIG ones) are better because they allow better depth resolution and crisper graphics. Online reviews recommend a flat screen http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-0249

Mine is an 18 inch. But you get the idea. They say for playing DVD and multimedia, these are better. I know of the other advantages, less eye strain, space consolidation, lighter. Anyway, hit me with your opinions.

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion.

DUDE! You got a DELL! Their spokesDude is a Rehab case! You shoulda went with Alienware.

Oh wait, this is on Flat Screens. There are few aspects that make viewing images better on a screen independant of color models / gamma correction and other modifications you can make software-side.

What makes images crips is a LOW DOT PITCH. Resolution doesn't matter. Take this for example. I give you a 800 ppi (pixel per inch) image. You view it on Monitor A (max res of 640) and Monitor B (max res of 1800)

On Monitor A you will only see 3/4's of the image. On Monitor B you will see the entire thing (and room enough for another) If Monitor A and Monitor B have the same Dot Pitch, then the QUALITY will be the same.

The Dot Pitch is the amount of space between the pixels. (.26mm, .24mm, .21mm) The lower the better. Resolution is really real estate, dot pitch gives you the quality image. (Of course then features like image color quality, glare reduction, and others come into play for overall quality)

I'm a cook. I knead dough. graphixkid's Avatar
    NH, USA . . . . . . . . Snowboarder: YES.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell Dude In Pot Bust

Hey, dude, you're getting a cell! Benjamin Curtis, the 22-year-old actor who portrays "Steven," the Dell Guy, in those bothersome computer commercials, was arrested late last night (2/9) on a marijuana possession charge, The Smoking Gun has learned. According to police, Curtis was nabbed after cops spotted him buying a "small bag of marijuana" from a dealer on Manhattan's Lower East Side (at Ludlow and Rivington for you Gothamites). Curtis, who lives in lower Manhattan, was charged with criminal possession of marijuana, while Omar Mendez, the 19-year-old alleged dealer, faces drug sale and possession charges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here is the specs on my exact model

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=us&l=en&cs=19

Let me know what you think in terms of viewing media/graphics.

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, that monitor has .28 Dot Pitch, with is rather poor. (best I've seen is .20, which DOES make a good visual difference)

In fact, the 19" KDS Monitor I use $159, is .27dpi. Of course, Flat Screen colors are 2-4x more vibrant, but overall, my monitor TECHNICALLY has better "visuals". VISUALLY, the flat screen would be much better.

1280x1024 @ 75Hz. That is it's highest capability (and is the same resolution and range I run my monitor at) In time, Flat Screens will be able to support bigger resolutions at more powerful refresh rates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I may have screwed myself huh Well, I will give it a whirl, if I don't like it, I can always attach my 18 inch Gateway 2000 VX900 I have no clue what its dot pitch is though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say what you will and will not like. You may absolutly love it.

Dot Pitch is the DISTANCE between pixels on your screen. I PIXEL (Picture Element) is a single DOT on your screen. Each pixel can be one color. Resolution is how many pixels your monitor is showing wide by how many high (1280x1024 means your monitor is showing 1280 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high)

The dot pitch could be, say .28mm That means the pixels on your monitor are spaced out .28mm from the adjacent center of the nearby pixel. Thus, the lower that number, the closer the pixels are to each other, and that means that the QUALITY of your image looks a lot smoother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, help me out please. Here is two choices that I should decide between regarding flat panels

1st

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...k=&refurbished=

or

2nd

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...k=&refurbished=

If they don't work, just add an = sign after the full URL.

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it is this

Dell 17E1FP
    $499.00
    Max Res / Ref Rate : 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz
    Dot Pitch : .264mm

Dell 1800FP
    $599.00
    Max Res / Ref Rate : 1280 x 1024 @ 75Hz
    Dot Pitch : .28mm

17" is smaller screen, but better quality, and cheaper

18" is larger, worse quality and more expensive.

Your call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Well, it actually is added into the cost of the system. If you go to the xps section and customize, the 18 inch was an additional 170 bucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, new question.

What the quality seemed ENHANCED (though .28 dpi) because it has a digital input instead of analog?

Thanks
    Bryan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep in mind when deciding between a 17 and 18" LCD is that a 17" LCD is closer to 17 inches than and 17" CRT... actual CRT size is usually lower than the label... so a 17" LCD is a little bigger than you may think.

I started using an LCD monitor a couple of years ago and would not consider going back. I can't tell you how much easier it is on my eyes...

I do mostly Illustrator and Photoshop work, and the quality is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is nice to know, thank you very much. So far, I have stuck with the 18 inch provided in my examples above, simply because it offered digital, wheras the 17 was analog only.

Is your analog or digital?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not go down to a store that has many different kinds of monitors on display?

Personally I went with a 17in CRT instead of a flat screen, I didn't look at the numbers...just the big difference in clearness.

Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    That is nice to know, thank you very much. So far, I have stuck with the 18 inch provided in my examples above, simply because it offered digital, wheras the 17 was analog only.

Is your analog or digital?
    Mine is analog, though I've been shopping around for a new monitor the past few weeks and have been looking strictly at LCDs, some digital... Not a quality issue, just looking for something larger.

What I generally do is what Toni suggested -- check them out in a store. Seeing a monitor first hand gives you the best idea of whether or not it will suit your needs. Then I'll go home and use mysimon.com, pricewatch or sometimes even eBay and look for the best deal on it.

And hey, if you do wind up with a monitor you don't like and can't return it, you can still get a good price when you sell like-new condition stuff on eBay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And hey, if you do wind up with a monitor you don't like and can't return it, you can still get a good price when you sell like-new condition stuff on eBay
    Very true.

Well, i actually did go to best buy yesterday for something else, but found myself drifting toward the computer monitor section Checked out some 17 and 18 inch LCD's. Viewsonic was one of them. Pretty damn nice if you ask me, and most of the DPI's that I saw were around .294 up to .3. So my .28 isn't sooooo bad. I found out, that since mine is going to be digital, I am not sure if the only cord that will come with my computer is teh digital cord, or if it gives me both options, because I still have my 19 inch Gateway CRT that I can use if all else fails.

Thanks for the help
    bryan