I have just completed two years of college studying toward a bachelor's degree in Computer Science with an emphasis on Software Engineering at a decent school. When I started at this school, I had a choice between Software Engineering or Computer Information Systems. Both are rigorous majors here, and both contain many classes in programming. Up until now, most of my classes applied to both majors, including a couple programming classes, Data Structures and Algorithms, and Object-Oriented Programming. I've also taken College Algebra II and College Trigonometry. The only class I have taken so far that counted more toward Software Engineering is Discrete Mathematics. However, I am starting to question whether I want to stay in Software Engineering or go with CIS. The CIS major is more practical and business oriented; the Software Engineering major goes more toward theory and mathematics, the academic world of things. I would enjoy the CIS classes more with their oftener use of real-world application, and I want to enter the business workplace after gaining my degree.

Most of the people I have talked to so far have limited exposure to the current Computer Science workplace. Most of them have spent their time on the academic side ever since they were a freshman in college. What is the opinion of people who have been in the business? And would getting a degree in CIS instead of Software Engineering limit me in the business world?

Thanks so much for any answers! I really do appreciate it!