User Tag List

Thread: AOL Emulator

SitePoint Addict mixmastermidori's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AOL Emulator

I searched the forums, which told me that there is no AOL browser emulator. I installed AOL since a friend had told me that one of my websites looks really small in the AOL browser. It looked fine to me, so I can't recreate the problem. I'm guessing it might be his resolution setting or maybe an earlier version of AOL?

I found out it's a hassle to cancel this AOL account now that they have my credit card number.

If anyone knows of an AOL emulator, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Midori

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last I heard it was just IE... He probably has his text size set to smallest.

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But he said the whole thing looked small, not just the text. !!@#$% AOL...
    Nature's Sunshine herbs and supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would he know the difference?

Also, is he on a Mac or windows?

Douglas
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think OS X AOL uses Gecko, so Firebird/Mozilla/Metscape/Camino whatever would be an "emulator." I also think AOL does proprietary image compression on all platforms.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's actually my friend's dad's machine. He supposedly has a new PC with the "latest version" of AOL.

My site is very simple with only a few graphics, but I do use IFRAME (which should work in IE) and CSS. However, screen resolution is the only reason I can think of for the entire thing looking small.

It looks fine to me on IE, Mozilla, and AOL 8.0, so I'll just have to ask my friend to give me more stats on his dad's machine.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had problems with AOL users also. When possible, I have them minimize the AOL browser and open IE, but frequently, the visitors are on their own. An AOL emulator would be great. Although most of my issues were with cookies.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mixmastermidori
    I found out it's a hassle to cancel this AOL account now that they have my credit card number.
    According to past experience, the only way to cancel your AOL account is to put a stop order on your credit card or checking account. A few years ago, my brother got so frustrated that he simply called his card in lost and never updated the account info with AOL so they would stop billing him.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I was told by their Live Person that I have to call them to cancel since it can't be done online. I hope it's that easy. I'm waiting to hear more info from my friend before I cancel the account in case I missed something when I was checking. You'd think AOL would make it easier for webmasters to comply to their browsers. They even say on their webmaster site that "working with us to develop a great site that works with our browser and caching system is to to our mutual advantage." How about them working with us a little bit more?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was that easy for me ... (although i guess you guys are from the USA). i'm in the UK. a phone call was all it took, but that was back years ago.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    According to past experience, the only way to cancel your AOL account is to put a stop order on your credit card or checking account. A few years ago, my brother got so frustrated that he simply called his card in lost and never updated the account info with AOL so they would stop billing him.
    I have heard the same thing. I'd rather install scumware than AOL. It's far easier to get rid of.