SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb How can data saved in iPhone can be secured?

    iPhone is not the safest of the devices but certainly one of the most used devices. In the modern era smartphones are also used as a mobile data backup. As these phone can perform almost like a computer, many of the important folders are saved in iPhone. As research suggest iPhone is one of the basic sources of data loss. How can that data can be secured? Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Member Wikitila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep your data safe in iPhone, the effective way is to backup your iPhone to iTunes or to iCloud.

  3. #3
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikitila View Post
    To keep your data safe in iPhone, the effective way is to backup your iPhone to iTunes or to iCloud.
    Is cloud safe?

  4. #4
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,097
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamhmiles View Post
    Is cloud safe?
    Well, it's a remote backup, which is handy. Safe? What does that really mean? It's probably pretty secure ... possibly more secure than your own home computer. And it's not likely that anyone will snoop on your data in the cloud ... well, apart from a few thousand of your good friends at the NSA, of course ...
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  5. #5
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Well, it's a remote backup, which is handy. Safe? What does that really mean? It's probably pretty secure ... possibly more secure than your own home computer. And it's not likely that anyone will snoop on your data in the cloud ... well, apart from a few thousand of your good friends at the NSA, of course ...
    But, experts do not advice to save precious data on the cloud.

  6. #6
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,097
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamhmiles View Post
    experts do not advice to save precious data on the cloud.
    Which ones?
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  7. #7
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    wwb_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,623
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iPhones actually have very, very good native encryption -- each unit ships with it's own hardware key that never leaves the unit, they are pretty much unbreakable when combined with reasonable passcode.

    If you want to just encrypt a folder at rest just use truecrypt, no need to bother with commercial products. If you are on professional or better SKUS of windows bitlocker is another great option and has loads less overhead in most cases.

  8. #8
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    iPhones actually have very, very good native encryption -- each unit ships with it's own hardware key that never leaves the unit, they are pretty much unbreakable when combined with reasonable passcode.

    If you want to just encrypt a folder at rest just use truecrypt, no need to bother with commercial products. If you are on professional or better SKUS of windows bitlocker is another great option and has loads less overhead in most cases.
    You have not heard much about the breaches through iPhones

  9. #9
    Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    14,644
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ralph,

    Also, I'd mentioned a recent pair of TechRepublic.com articles on attacking (encrypted) DropBox files. I don't have their links but have my saved copies of their articles (attached - I hope this attribution is sufficient not to violate their copyright). In summary, though, do NOT rely on cloud's encryption but encrypt before uploading (if that's how you want to save your files).

    Thanks, Wyatt, good information about the iPhone. Do you know if Androids do the same? Any recommended app?

    Regards,

    DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

  10. #10
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,097
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    I'd mentioned a recent pair of TechRepublic.com articles on attacking (encrypted) DropBox files.
    Yes, thanks for those. I had already saved them, but perhaps not taken them sufficiently to heart. I should keep my nose out of these discussions, as I'm hopelessly ignroant about this stuff. I just hope that other storage solutions like SugarSync and Backblaze know what they are doing in terms of security.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  11. #11
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    wwb_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,623
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @adam -- exactly which breaches? Please share some articles.

    @dklynn -- unfortunately androids are a bit wild west. Current versions do support whole device encryption but the hardware support definitely isn't universal, having dedicated crypto silicon matters alot on mobile where the battery overhead is vastly more important. Also why attach PDFs of articles rather than link to the article?

  12. #12
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    @adam -- exactly which breaches? Please share some articles.

    @dklynn -- unfortunately androids are a bit wild west. Current versions do support whole device encryption but the hardware support definitely isn't universal, having dedicated crypto silicon matters alot on mobile where the battery overhead is vastly more important. Also why attach PDFs of articles rather than link to the article?
    Can not share articles here, I think it will be a matter of copyright

  13. #13
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,097
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamhmiles View Post
    Can not share articles here
    He means posting a link, which is quite OK.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  14. #14
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    He means posting a link, which is quite OK.
    http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/10/iph...-private-data/
    here is an article

  15. #15
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    wwb_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,623
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup -- it is a pretty glittering generalization, I'd love to see some facts to back it up.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    wwb_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,623
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is 2+ years old, aimed at a version of the software now 2 and almost 3 major versions behind and requires physical access to the device and only works after it is jailbroken. Do you have something current on why the software you are suggesting is better than the native encryption?

  17. #17
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99 View Post
    That is 2+ years old, aimed at a version of the software now 2 and almost 3 major versions behind and requires physical access to the device and only works after it is jailbroken. Do you have something current on why the software you are suggesting is better than the native encryption?
    I am not able to find the latest article that I read, bit, it had some real facts and figures


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •