SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with display order

I've been asked to help out on a website and have run into a problem I'm not sure how to solve. On the front page, there's a flash news display box that's pulling stories from a database. Problem is, it isn't displaying the stories in the proper order. I've opened up the .fla file for that movie but I have no idea where to look to find the code for displaying the stories. My skill with flash extends just as far as drawing circles and making them move across the page. As near as I can tell, Flash can't query the database directly -- am I right about that? -- so it must be hitting a URL that does (the site's written in ColdFusion MX. I believe I've found the file used for that and it looks to be outputting the news stories in the proper order. Can anyone tell me where in the flash movie this sort of thing might be set?

I'm sorry this is so vague. I'm totally new to Flash, seem to have bitten off way more than I can handle, and don't even really know where to start. I truly appreciate any help. Thank you.

SitePoint Evangelist dalangalma's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe. I understand your plight. Well, I'd look at the ColdFusion again... it would seem the most likely place, as it would be strange to sort the stories in the flash file itself. If not, look through the flash file for either XML objects (if the Coldfusion is sending XML as its output) or loadMovie statements (if the Coldfusion is just sending it as url-encoded text. Right near there everything should be getting put into an array, and that's when the sorting (or not sorting, as the case may be) is happening. Good luck!
    Web Design:
    http://www.numbera.com/
    Free Web Design Resources and Software:
    http://brh.numbera.com/