User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Movies

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone seen any good movies lately? I just went to see "Coyote Ugly" on the late showing tonight and I thought it was pretty good.

NB. For all you Americans out there, in case you think that is dead old, here in the UK we get them about 4-6 months after they are released in the States.

Also something I thought was brilliant this year was "Final Destination", anyone seen that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Grinch" starring Jim Carey looks like it's going to be pretty good. It doesn't come out til Thanksgiving, though. (Are you familiar with Dr. Suess or Thanksgiving in the UK?)
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay it Forward was excellent, just don't let anyone tell you the ending.

The patriot was excellent as well, although it may not mean as much to you Brits as it does to us.

Almost famous was very good.

Of course my favorite movie of all time is Braveheart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Pay it Forward" was excellent.
    I liked "Final Destination" also.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    [B]The patriot was excellent as well, although it may not mean as much to you Brits as it does to us.
    Don't get me started on that film, talk about anti-english and not getting all the facts right. Almost as bad as U-XXX (Can't remember the name).
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dungeons and Dragons the movie looks fantastic, I also can't wait to see Pitch Black and Pokemon the Movie 2000 (cos Bulbasaur is ace).

My favourite film of all time though has to be Dune, especially the 3hr version on DVD.

For I am the Quizadt Haddarach! or however you spell it

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A movie(s) I can't wait to see is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

That just looks so awesome.

If you haven't seen the trailer yet:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/home.html

Chris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by westmich
    "The Grinch" starring Jim Carey looks like it's going to be pretty good. It doesn't come out til Thanksgiving, though. (Are you familiar with Dr. Suess or Thanksgiving in the UK?)
    I am familiar with both. Although I doubt many kids in the Uk nowadays know what Dr. Seuss is, and of course we have all heard of Thanksgiving due to Movies.

Dune - I must admit I fell asleep!

I want to see the new Tom Hanks movie - "Castaway"! Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard about "Castaway," but I always like Tom Hanks movies. I think he is the Jimmy Stewart of our day.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it two months ago. It's better than it seems by looking at first glance. Jim Carrey is excellent.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my favorites to rent are:

"The Conversation"
    "The Manchurian Candidate"
    "Harvey"
    "Arsenic and Old Lace"
    "Simon Birch"
    "The Freshman"
    "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion"
    "The Spanish Prisoner"
    "The Man Who Knew Too Little"
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck. I'll tell you (since I know someone is going to ask.)

After seeing MI:2 a lady stops us and asks if we wanted a ticket to a pre-release. She wouldn't tell us, but of course we said yes. We didn't know what movie it was, though.

On the appointed day and time, we walk past the 300 pound body guard and the 40 hollywood worker-types into the theater after filling out a form saying I won't review it on the Internet (heh).

Anyway, right before the movie starts (which we still don't know what it is) Ron Howard walks down and hypes it up. Anyway, after the 10 minute applause dies he says we're seeing "The Grinch who stole Christmas." He says it has temp music, temp scenes, the wires are still visible, and the blue screens are still there, but we can get the gist of it.

Then we see it. It's actually quite good. Jim Carey does a very good acting job - especially considering the amount of makeup (which is amazing) The movie is almost funnier because they haden't finished yet. Everyone still had wires on their backs and blue screens and staff in the background. (which makes it funny in an unusual way.) There is one scene where a tree burns down. Well Carey dances around it, holds up a match, the screen goes blue and a sign says "Tree burning scene", then there is a pile of ash on the floor.

It is my personal belief that Jim Carey was there, though I never saw him.

It may look like a stupid movie, but it's quite well done and very entertaining with some good twists (which I'm not going to tell you.)

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Owen
    I've seen it two months ago. It's better than it seems by looking at first glance. Jim Carrey is excellent.

Owen

Oh really? it looks dumb to me from the commercials...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl
    [B]
    The patriot was excellent as well, although it may not mean as much to you Brits as it does to us.

Don't get me started on that film, talk about anti-english and not getting all the facts right. Almost as bad as U-XXX (Can't remember the name).
    U-571 was the BEST movie! It was SO GREAT. I cant believe you can say that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly my point. It's less dumb then the preview make it out to be (though it still is a childrens movie so...)

Owen

Originally posted by jumpthru
    Originally posted by Owen

Owen

Oh really? it looks dumb to me from the commercials...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U-571 was the BEST movie! It was SO GREAT. I cant believe you can say that.
    I think the problem with this film is that it implies that the breaking of the enigma code was down to the US, when it was actually done at Blechley Park in the UK.

This is the problem when film makers blend fact and fiction.

Peter
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't beleive no one mentioned Gladiator. By far the best of the year.
    Visit http://www.igsites.com for all your gaming needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I though Gladiator was good but it is spoilt by the fact that it was far too long. A lot of movies are these days in my opinion. It is ok when you are at home, but I start to get restless if I am at the pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billy Madison must be one of my favourite movies of all time, in fact, all adam sandler movies are funny.

I also liked Mallrats, thats a pretty cool movie (I'm kind of a mallrat myself, walking around in stores, looking at CD's, looking at clothes etc)

Movies like the ^above^ are probaly my favourite type of movies.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl
    [B]

I thought U-571 was a very good movie. I don't watch movies for thier historical factuality because simply put they don't have any. History is often a lot boring than it looks. If I want a history lesson, I'll read a book or watch the History Channel. If I want to be entertained I'll watch a movie.

As far as the Patriot being anti-English, did you expect anything less from a movie about the American Revolution from an American Perspective. Sorry but at the time the movie was set in, the English weren't exactly thought of as the lovable friendly type on this side of the Atlantic.

Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a tie between Erin Brokovic (SP?) and Gladiator for the best movie of the year so far. X-Men was good as was Toy Story 2 (Even funnier than the first), American Bauety was good, Deception was OK. Hollow Man was far to predicatable, O-Brother Where Art Thou was not bad but not to good, same goes for Perfect Storm. MI:2 was predictable but still better than the first.

I've seen lots of other films this year, but seen as I can't remember half of them you can guess what I thought of them.

I just ordered Erin Brokovic, American Bauety, Gladiator, X-Men and the Batman films on DVD.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with The Patriot being anti-english - it makes perfect sense, same with Braveheart.

I thought U-571 was a very good movie. I don't watch movies for thier historical factuality because simply put they don't have any.
    The problem is many people, those who don't know the factual version, will think that it is the true story. I wish they had just made it a totally fictional film rather than merging fact and fiction - by combining the two they devalue the true story. Why did they have to mention the enigma code when it could have been a fictional code and still offered the same dramatic effect.
    Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any one wants free tickets to see Little Nicky go here: http://www.moviefone.com/pageboy5.cg...ickyScreenTMPL

(I think this is right. Otherwise go to http://www.moviefone.com and click around)

I got a pair (I think: it was confusing if you won or not) so I can go see this for free.

Owen

[Edited by Owen on 11-06-2000 at 06:07 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk'ers out there if you want whats on in america now get some dvd's imported from amazon, i saw blair witch abiut two months before it came out in cinema, pitch black arrives next week, (before cinema release)
    Andysan :-)
    "do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it will not become a wise dragon"

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite movie of all time is Willy Wanka and the Chocolate Factory But I thought Gladiator and The Patriot were both excellent as well. Remember the Titans was good too. I saw Pitch Black, and was pleasently suprised. I thought it would be corny, but it wasn't. I heard Blade is good. Just too many movies...