SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoiding ghosting behind image

Hi, I've just started with Flash, and wondered how to avoid the ghosting effect that should be totally transparent behind "Dominic" in my work-in-progress - http://www.bigdeepblue.net/XP/. They're originally .pngs with transparency that I'm importing.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only see a slight halo when the photo is on top of the dark blue.

You could try blocking out some of the halo using a layer mask.

Its tricky creating a transparent image when the background has various colours in it. You could try putting the pic on the background image from the website in Photoshop. Get rid of the halo using defringe or remove matte white, then using a odd colour that not in the image (Hot pink or lime green) paint the mask using the pencil tool (its not anti aliased) Export as png or gif choosing the pink or green as the transparent colour.

Also I can notice a slight vertical line to the left of the photo... it almost as thought the transparent background on the png can be seen slightly??

You may also want to change the hit frame of the menu button so its easier to click.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Askari, that's sound advice regarding creating a transparent image to be placed ontop of a coloured bg. I wasn't that clear, but my question was actually about the transparent bg on the png that can be seen slightly. Is this something we have to live with, i noticed also in other sites.
    As for the hit frame, yes I'll definitely be changing that & a few other things.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this...
    make the png a symbol(F8)
    Open the symbol & break it apart (ctrl +b)
    Select the lasso tool and make sure the magic wand option is selected (bottom of the tools palette)
    Select the colour to be transparent with the wand then delete it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I had earlier tried something similar, but I had the pointer tool selected, hence had no luck and I gave up. Thanks for the advice Askari, it makes a big difference.