SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, i'm developing a site for a particular group which has a photo album. I want to design the page for it.
    It'll have about 100+ photos. No categories.

Can anyone tell me a good design for it? How should the page look??

(1)Should i split it into a number of pages based on a sample template with each page having thumbnails and when the visitor clicks the thumbnail, show up the full image.

(2)Have a listbox with photo description on the left side of the page and when the visitor clicks any item on the list box, the corresponding images shows up on the right side of the same page.

Or any other ideas?? Please help.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photograph galleries are always a problem because of download times. Thumbnails are always a good idea if used properly as they give the user an indication of what the photo is, however, as they are still images they can be slow to download. If you are just going to use pull down menus with text descriptions a good idea is to specify the file size and download time, therefore allowing users to know whether they want to download them or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nicky. But i'm going with the 1st option bcoz i feel the 2nd one doesnt look to be good.

But the loading time will be faster with the 2nd option as only one photo at a time will be loaded. Whereas in the former one, each page has to load all 16 (i have assumed 3 rows with 4 photos per row) thumbnail images.

So, i will preload the first 16 images in the previous page (page before user enters gallery) itself and the second 16 in the first gallery page and so on. So i think, the loading time will not be so bad.

What do you think??

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ImageFolio - CGI Perl Image Gallery: http://www.imagefolio.com/ may have what you want for a photographic gallery. They have a categorized feature that seems to be what you would like to do with your images.

But also if you already have PhotoShop 5.5 they have a Web Photo Gallery feature AND with the upgrade to 6.0 they have expanded this to include additional layouts & formats - such as a left thumbnail scrolling frame with one image on the right. You click another thumbnail and that enlarged image appears. You can customize your pages within PhotoShop but still may want to use an HTML editor to specialize your pages to the style of your existing website.

PhotoShop 5.5/6.0 is an extremely quick way to create customized & optimized thumbnail web galleries...PhotoShop is also terrific in optimizing your images to the web from min to max, thus making thumbnail pages much faster to load than ever before.

Another way...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried the photo album feature in Fireworks? I have it, but Fireworks is altogether new to me and I haven't learned to use many of the features it has. I have a few photo galleries up and would love to improve the way they're designed.

Confirmed Halfwit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Fireworks photo wizard once. It was not very customizable... However, if you're just looking to get the photo's up on the web without any fancy interface.. then it will do nicely.

Easy to use.
    - A simple online WYSIWYG editor for HTML code snippets.
    - Managed Web Hosting - $3.95/month (resellers welcome)
    - Why pay more? $8.95 domains & $9.95 SSL certificates!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Fireworks'3' photo gallery is very similar to the PhotoShop 5.5/6.0 feature, creating the same thumbnail/image page type web galleries. The difference is that the gallery make with Fireworks'3' can be opened in Dreamweaver'3' so that you can edit the layout. AND if you already have your website created using DW templates, you can apply the template to your gallery pages. You can incorporate your photo gallery pages into your website's color/layout scheme easier & faster with the use of DW templates if you have already built your website with Dreamweaver...

Both PhotoShop/Fireworks photo gallery options are not completely customizable as you may like them to be -- are very basic in nature but create the thumbnails/image pages quickly so that you can publish in minutes! How you design the look of the gallery to match your existing website will be up to you and how advanced you are with HTML.

BTW Remember it is Fireworks'3' that has the new web photo gallery feature that works in conjuction with Dreamweaver'3' -- does not work with the earlier versions...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly