SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie Importing Photoshop to FlashMX

When importing a Photoshop 7 file into Flash MX it must import via QuickTime. Once the graphic is imported it looks "choppy" and "saw toothed", why? I would like to know what is the best way to create graphics and import, I know that Flash has tools to generate some okay vector art by I am not use to some of its tools and am already familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator. I have the complete macromedia family of graphic editing software, but choose PS and AI due to familiarity. Any recommendations? Also, should I save the PS file as a GIF or JPEG first then import, or import directly as PS file?

Thanks.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it must import via QuickTime
    Why?
    Why can you just import it as a JPG BMP or GIF?
    The only function of business is to create customer value and to innovate. - Peter Drucker

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can import it as a JPG BMP or GIF, the question is what is better? Importing it already optimized as a JPG BMP or GIF, or importing it from PS7 and using the bitmap tracing function of FLASH and convert to vector art.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you use illustrator, i believe you can open the ai or eps file in flash with all the layers so that would be my first choice. depending on the file, for photoshop i'd use jpg for raster with many colors and png for those with less and/or transparency. but if youre using vector in photoshop, i believe you can save that as eps and open that in flash.

SitePoint Evangelist dalangalma's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no good support for directly importing photoshop as far as I know. You should import a BMP, or better yet, a PNG. As for bitmap tracing.... it's sort of hit-and-miss. For most things you want to leave it as a bitmap, unless it's a bitmap of something that was originally vector art. Tracing a photo or something will just lead to a huge, slow, ugly flash file. If you're getting jaggies, then you either need to turn on "allow smoothing" by going to the properties for that image in the library, or you need to import higher-resolution graphics.
    Web Design:
    http://www.numbera.com/
    Free Web Design Resources and Software:
    http://brh.numbera.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the reason they dont import well is photoshop is done by adobe and flash is done by macromedia. they would both rather you stick to their software than use them interchangingly. adobe does have a program like flash in its suite though, i just dont remember the name (and no, its not imageready)

SitePoint Evangelist dalangalma's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called LiveMotion. It's not as good an environment as flash really. And it's perfectly easy to move images from photoshop to flash.
    Web Design:
    http://www.numbera.com/
    Free Web Design Resources and Software:
    http://brh.numbera.com/