SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have news about ICQ? I have only been using them for a few months & I know that they are in Beta Stage. They have had numerous updates, but I noticed on their website http://web.icq.com/index they quote...
    Please read this important information about pre-release (beta) software: "The usage of this time limited free software and the access to the servers are limited to the beta period only, so it may expire after a certain period of time, when and if the ability to purchase a commercial version will be offered."
    I don't pay for web services if I don't have to and I would hate to see this happen as I would probably just stop using ICQ as it is not a crucial part of my day. I'm sure that the many current users wouldn't be too happy either to have the service disconnected until they pay a user fee. Sounds like charges are around the corner after the 'users' have tested out the 'bugs' in the ICQ program.

Any thoughts about this...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also say "Charging Policy
    Concerning our Time Limited Free Beta software policy - No change is currently being considered in this policy, which has prevailed ever since we introduced our product. In any case, in the future, if we do consider any changes in this policy, an advance notice of at least 30 days will be given. "

It's been this way since they first started: free but can change at any time.

Owen

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't, and I'm sure most of ICQs customers wouldn't use it if it went "commercial" and you had to pay. There are too many other free programs like it that people would switch too...

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew it would go downhill once aol acuired it. The software has become slow, filled with ads, and clutered, i just use aim now, and i consider it a much better client.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    I knew it would go downhill once aol acuired it. The software has become slow, filled with ads, and clutered, i just use aim now, and i consider it a much better client.
    I'm using ICQ99a and I haven't had any of these problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's sad, I hope ICQ doesn't get any worse. It's horrible that AOL owns it. I use ICQ too much to just get rid of it, and if the fee isn't too, too bad, I would consider paying it.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebKat
    Anyone have news about ICQ? I have only been using them for a few months & I know that they are in Beta Stage. They have had numerous updates, but I noticed on their website http://web.icq.com/index they quote...
    Please read this important information about pre-release (beta) software: "The usage of this time limited free software and the access to the servers are limited to the beta period only, so it may expire after a certain period of time, when and if the ability to purchase a commercial version will be offered."
    I don't pay for web services if I don't have to and I would hate to see this happen as I would probably just stop using ICQ as it is not a crucial part of my day. I'm sure that the many current users wouldn't be too happy either to have the service disconnected until they pay a user fee. Sounds like charges are around the corner after the 'users' have tested out the 'bugs' in the ICQ program.

Any thoughts about this...
    ICQ has been in Beta since 1996. They have never released a final version.

As for charging, That same notice has been in their legal documents since the first version was released in 1997. As such, ICQ now has 50 million users and won't want to lose them. They are also profitable and make good money on their technologies.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICQ has definately got slow and clunky since AOL aquired it. It's so bulky now and it doesn't come with all the features in one package which makes it even bulkier if you want all the 'old' features such as the message archive.

The same has started to happen to WinAMP as well.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used ICQ for about a month, now I've happily uninstalled it because it was too slow, cluttered and incredibly goofy. I came across MSN messenger and it does most everyone I want it to: its plain, simple and fast. Plus it integrates into my hotmail account.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always knew that ICQ Beta was only the beginning stage and $$ fees were always a possibility in the future - as ANY website/program will usually include a disclaimer that they can "change options, fees, etc. at any date"...

I just can't see ICQ charging for it's basic services as many users will just leave & utilize another online message service - there is too much competition

Hopefully ICQ will just charge extra for any of their 'advanced' & 'add-on' features and leave it's basic program free...
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know how fast MSN & Yahoo messenger services are growing?? Do they have the potential to be a threat for ICQ??

I know that I have more crashes with ICQ on my system

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebKat
    Anyone know how fast MSN & Yahoo messenger services are growing?? Do they have the potential to be a threat for ICQ??

I know that I have more crashes with ICQ on my system
    I think that MSN IM and Y! M do pose a threat to ICQ. Personally, I use MSN IM more than ICQ and AIM combined because it is simple and bloat-free. They are growing pretty fast too, especially MSN IM.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hate bloated programs. "Everyone wants to be microsoft"

Yahoo was not content at being a search portal, they had to offer auctions, and buy geocities, and have their own IM service etc etc

The same goes for things like ICQ. And I'm not considering it part of AOL. I don't have ICQ on my computer basically because I don't like it. I tried it and it was too much, I was not interested in all this integration and whatnot. I wanted an instant messenger program.

So I use AIM. I've had my AOL account since back when AOL was the first ISP to go flat rate, and I don't see a reason to change it.

I hate programs that assume too much. I just downloaded this browser today, I can't even remember the name now, but its trying to compete with IE and NS, starts with an N. Anyways it forced me to register, I could not close the program without doing so (save ctrl alt del) it installed 2 autorun "Services" on my system without asking me.

So 5 minutes after I installed it I uninstalled it.

This is also why I hate real player. Any program that automatically sets itself up to autorun pisses me off. I don't want all these extra services. If I ordered a just a small coke and a fry I don't want an extra value meal. If I want to use a program I'll click on it I dont need a blinking icon on my system tray or a pop up reminding me to register.

You know what, years from now the Dennis Leary's and Dennis Miller's of the world will be ranting about this kind of stuff. How scary is that.

Chris