User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do they do this?

I have been playing around with PaintShop Pro 7 and realize that there are a "zillion" things to learn about web graphics.

For example I am still trying to figure out how to design a header like the one at http://www.teleseminarsuccess.com/

Without giving away any "secrets" can someone briefly describe how this header was done? Am I looking at many layers "sliced" together?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how?

Near as I can tell, that's just one big header graphic.

Slices would be a better way to go to keep file sizes at a minimum.

For a look at an entire site structure that was done using Illustrator, then made into image slices check out: http://www.sdcooper.com

Best Regards,
    Michael Wisniach
    3rd Cherry Designs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too impressed by the header. The orange text is rather blurry and there's the common n00b mistake of heavy drop shadows.
    But what you'll want to focus on is called ADJUSTMENT LAYERS. Layers are one thing, that's just the smart way of creating images. But adjustment layers allow you to add nice effects to the layers below them. As an example, I'm showing you one of my works from a while back where we built images to boast our 3D Mark 2002 scores. I got in the 7700's. Which is decent. 3D Mark 2003 just came out and I got an 882.

Ah technology......2-faced as always.

Anyways, graphic arts are tough man. Many artists learn their tricks and trades just by goin through the program thoroughly and seeing what each feature does. PSP is a good program for the money. I've seen great things done with it. (In fact I made this image with PSP6)

(ps) I THINK I attached the file... pressing EDIT shows "madonion.jpg" in the ATTACH FILES, but when I post this message, I see no link to the image. Ah well! Technology; I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Layers vs. Slices

Quote Originally Posted by tonybear
    Without giving away any "secrets" can someone briefly describe how this header was done? Am I looking at many layers "sliced" together?
    Ah, I see it is a bit of a different angle you are after.

Working in "Layers" is a way of life if you ask me. "Slicing" is something totally different as it refers to segmenting a large image and re-constructing it for the web in the form of a table which organizes all the "slices".

As for the creation of graphics. I do agree with Aaron: learn, play, and you'll find what works and what doesn't. Photoshop is an everday tool to create images like the one you were referring to, and agreeably, usually much better.

Mixing and matching textures, layers of colors, blending modes and other tricks and tips are all out there, search for Tutorials on the web and you should be able to keep yourself busy for awhile.

Hope that makes a bit more sense than my previous post for what you are looking for.

Best Regards,
    Michael Wisniach
    3rd Cherry Designs

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybear
    I have been playing around with PaintShop Pro 7 and realize that there are a "zillion" things to learn about web graphics.

For example I am still trying to figure out how to design a header like the one at http://www.teleseminarsuccess.com/

Not a whole lot of layers... That header isn't very complex as far the Photoshop/Paintshop aspect of it. Looks to me like a rendering of some generic crystals done in a 3D program on the bottom layer, adjusted for the blue color in a paint program... the text and clock-things would be added on as separate layers. On the right side you'll notice that the crystals fade into blue, which can be done easily with a layer mask filled with a gradient (in Photoshop... Don't know if there's a similar feature in Paintshop)

I'm in agreement with everyone else... if you're just getting started with Paintshop, my recommendation would be to not start out trying to make an elaborate multi-layer collage, but to learn some of the tools and features first... once you're more comfortable with the program and know some tricks, I think you'll find it's pretty easy to combine your knowledge of the different aspects of the program and really come up with some great-looking graphics