SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screenshots Which Don't Last?

When I attempt to take a screenshot of certain things (like, for example, a movie trailer I've downloaded), I find that it only displays properly as long as I have the trailer open. If I close it, the image no londers displays.

The effect in a program like Paint Shop Pro is very strange. I move the copied image around and find that the still shot itself remains fixed at a certain point, so that any room around it resulting from my having moved the window shows up as "blank." Has anyone else had a similar problem? How can I go about fixing it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I had the same problem with PSP6 capping movies. JASC said it had to do with the medium in which the movie was being played. It wasn't "part" of the screen or something like that (that's why when you cap it, it's all black where the movie should be)

Try using a cheap/free video editor with capping capabilities

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's because it's not actually an "image" heh, if that makes sense, it's generated by your video card, but yeah...

Use the inbuilt capture in the dvd player (powerDVD has one I know for a fact, not sure about others).

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow I was just trying to figure out why this didn't work. Thanks for asking that, I probably would have just given up.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    screenshots work if you watch something through preview in TMPGenc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone recommend a good video editor so that I can capture the stills? I'm open to suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saving before editing

Quote Originally Posted by TWTCommish
    When I attempt to take a screenshot of certain things (like, for example, a movie trailer I've downloaded), I find that it only displays properly as long as I have the trailer open. If I close it, the image no londers displays.

The effect in a program like Paint Shop Pro is very strange. I move the copied image around and find that the still shot itself remains fixed at a certain point, so that any room around it resulting from my having moved the window shows up as "blank." Has anyone else had a similar problem? How can I go about fixing it?
    Hi there,

Have you tried simply saving the image that you captured prior to editing it?

If you want to actually edit the video still and re-insert it into the movie, Final Cut Pro (for all you MAC addicts) or Adobe After Effects is the way to go.

Best Regards,
    Michael Wisniach
    3rd Cherry Designs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdcherry
    Hi there,

Have you tried simply saving the image that you captured prior to editing it?
    Yes. I figured if I could save the image first, it wouldn't matter whether or not the movie was open later...however, it does, and I've still no idea how to go about changing this, exactly. As stated above, it's coming "from" my video card...I'm not quite sure how to "combat" that.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have windows XP, you could look at avid free DV http://www.avid.com/forms/info.asp?iTrackingID=7682
    virtualdub http://www.virtualdub.org/download is another decent one.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Videos are played on a different "layer" you could say, like Gavin said, which is all controlled by your video card. In Photoshop, for example, if you attempt to take a screen shot and paste it in photoshop, you'll get everything but a blank area where the video was, and when you move the image around, it'll appear as though the program itself in that spot is transparent because it's still trying to use the video overlay or something like that.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.