SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to stream MP3's?

A little off topic I know but I'm developing a site for a music producer/dj type who wants to allow the members of the site to stream some short clips of music in MP3 format.

All the tracks are his own so no copyright issues but I'm not sure what process I need to go through to set up the streams. Could anyone tell me what software I need and processes I need to go through to do this?

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No expert on this, but as far as I know your choices are:

1. Install an MP3 streaming server such as Icecast or Shoutcast, although I believe MS and Real do their own versions. You'll need full access to the server for all of these I imagine - I know that Icecast needs root access on a Linux/Apache box.

2. Get them hosted by one of the many streaming media hosts out there - no doubt US hosting will be cheaper.

3. Settle for downloading of the MP3s

4. There may well be other methods of streaming audio that I haven't mentioned, such as using Flash/Shockwave. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

My personal choice would be Icecast - the fact it's open source and there are loads of mods available is a big bonus.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jetboy, that's really helpful. I may have to settle for straight downloads then for now, and will look into the other options as the site develops.

Cheers