SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: content sharing

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A member of the non-profit, educational organization I work for asks about the possibility of posting some of our articles on another website which has supported our organization. The articles would include appropriate credits and a link back to our homepage.

I am looking for information on:

a) the pros and cons of sharing information and links

b) various content sharing options

c) protocols that we should follow for other sites to use our centent on the internet

d) a written agreement and what it shoud include
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics
    http://www.clickbasics.com

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a) the pros and cons of sharing information and links - pros, more exposure, cons cant think off any unless you get no cradit

d) a written agreement and what it shoud include - definetly include a contact, i know people who got screwed out of their own content, and never got it back.

[Edited by necrominator on 11-04-2000 at 01:48 PM]
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few thoughts. This is one of those things I 'want' to get around to but just have not had time.

I suggest having an area on your site that is for nothing but free content. That is, content other webmasters are able to take for free and post to their site so long as they provide a link back to you as the author.

Fantomaster does this on his site http://fantomaster.com and I beleive it works quite well. That way you don't have to worry so much about somebody stealing your content and it removes the administration burden of keeping up with all those requests.

I've tried letting people use tutorials from my site in a responsible manner and it has not worked well in the past. The problem has been that phenomena of 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile." Where I have agreed to let folks use content from my site I've visited them later and found that instead of them using one tutorial they've taken two, or three or even more!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Also, if the requesting site is high quality and especially if they have a popular newsletter it's a good idea to take some of your existing content - hack it up a bit -and then give it to them as an article written especially for them.

These articles are usually short, and since you already know the subject matter you can usually crank one out in a few minutes. It's a great way to boost traffic.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Web Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings JK,

Posting a page of free content for others to use sounds excellent! Many thanks.
    Paul C.
    ClickBasics
    http://www.clickbasics.com