SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know if a digital certificate from verisign can support more than one domain? I'm setting up ecommerce that will be used by multiple sites with their own domain names, I need to make the products and shopping cart accessible to all sites. Basically, several sites will be accessing 1 ecommerce backend system for purchases, and anonymity is key, so the backend will need to be available under multiple domain names.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hosts offer shared certificates all the time. Not sure if there is something different with the actual code or not though. Your best bet is to check with Verisign on this matter though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've read through most everything on the verisign site by now and from the looks of things, they don't offer what I need. I've got a client with big ideas, but not a lot of money to back em up, hehe, I guess he's gonna hafta start settling for what his money can buy, or let loose of a little more of it. As far as I can tell, the shared certificates that verisign offers are set up to be used on one domain, and then multiple sites have access to subdomains of that domain (a wildcard certificate of sorts). I needed 1 certificate for one ecommerce site, but accessible through multiple domains hosting different sites. Oh well, I'll pop an email off to verisign just to make sure. Thx for the reply.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you just have one domain with the Verisign, and when the customer comes to enter his information, take them to the page on the site with the Verisign?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sammy - That option was considered, but the client doesn't wan't any visible association between the sites (ie - the url in the browser during purchases would show a different domain name than the site the customer is purchasing from). Looks like in his case, anonimity is an expensive proposition..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..ya..
    If the client doesn't have much money, he's going to have to make some sacrifices.
    But if you find out another way, be sure to let us know!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, I've _finally_ gotten word from verisign, and as expected, digital certificates can only be used for one domain. But they do give discounts when you buy in bulk, so I guess next time I need 10 certificates I'll be set. LOL... Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know how things turned out.

Thanks for the feedback on this W. Luke and sammy.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may not answer your question, but it will save you money. Use Thawte.com for your certificate. They are owned by VeriSign yet charge half the price.
    Thomas
    http://www.EZ2ba.com
    Making it "Easy To Be A Dot-Com"