SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Determining price for Logo Design

This is more of a curiosity question, but how do you determine how much to charge for logo design. I will be open with this, I suck, but that is because I have no experience until recently. I spent about an hour and a half yesterday throwing some "logos" if you want to call them that, together just to see what I could come up with. http://homepages.evansville.edu/bk38/portfolio.htm

These are made up logos obviously, but once you get good and start putting some professional ones together, what is a good price. I see ones online for like 200 bucks a pop and I didn't know if that was normal. Any replies are good

Thanks

SHIZA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for starts learn more about logos, look at other work. and art classes always help in the long run but don't be putting on the $$ on them right away you need clients and etc. try some vollenteer work it looks good and it hones your skills.
    Pixel Engineer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Logo design can run anywhere from $50 to thousands of dollars. It really all depends on the designer and how skilled thay are, how many clients they have, and how much of a demand there is for their work.

A good idea is to do a little research by poking around some graphic designers' portfolios. You could start by looking here

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmerB
    It really all depends on the designer and how skilled thay are, how many clients they have, and how much of a demand there is for their work.
    well, it also depends on what the designer does for you. if he/she simply makes a "cool looking" logo, then great...but many designers (ok, bigger agencies more often than not) do a whole process of researching your market, your competitors, your company, to get an idea of what values you're trying to convey with the logo and what the competition is using. they will run focus groups, get feedback from a variety of "test subjects" etc...

it's just a case of doing a fancy little graphic or setting out two lines in helvetica...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my logos about $100 and up. No focus groups for me (as beneficial as they may be); I just ask if the client is looking for anything in particular, and try to cater to that.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it varies. Premade logo compaies, like the samples you have shown probably don't fetch a lot.

Then you have the ones done by design studios: they include, market resaearh, proper color selection to reflect the feel for th company, type face selection, or custom type faces to suit the needs of the client. Feedback on how the public preceives the image, multi format and colors for different applications. does it have staying power, will it still be useful for the company in another 50 years? A logo standards guide; and proper spacing.

Those ones cost A LOT.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically we calculate the prices based on these variables:
    - no of drafts
    - no of revisions
    - turnaround time for the initial drafts

There are many factors that influence the price BUT...
    I've taken some marketing courses and I was told that the market sets the price, not one company / designer. It all depends on the market you are targeting.
    Detail is KING.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the W W W ZONE.net website, there is a picture on your main page that was used in one of the graphic battles, the man standing with his arms wide open.

Sorry, just an observation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you mentioned marketing. See, I just graduated from College, with a Marketing Major, and a Mass Communications minor. I would love to work in the field of E-Marketing, but since the economy blows right now, its tough to get going.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find the pic here: http://www.intuitivmedia.net/

About Marketing:
    I think it's all about knowing how, when and with how much to sell to the right person (usually the one that needs your service / product).
    But even with this economy there are people out there that are making a good living out of marketing so don't give up.

Learn, learn and then learn more.
    Detail is KING.