Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Database Driven Sites... Please Help

Greetings Everyone,

Just wondering how I can learn howto make database driven sites like this one:
    Amazing-Bargains

See the thing with this site is that its all one big database and apparently you don't even have to edit it with Dreamweaver or anything you just open a small file on your computer... or on the web server and type in what you want to add or remove.

Is this possible? And where can I learn howto do this? Aswell as what do I need and what language will I be programming in?

The site I want to do will have products basically like Amazing Bargains...

Thanks.
    Shetly,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump .

Anything you think that can help me... please post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just creative programming. If they are database driven, they just have each product in a database, and then several scripts that display a product's information.

I would suggest either PHP or Perl. PHP is easier to look at, so it isn't as overwhelming. Perl can look cryptic at first, but it's designed to be easier to use once you do learn it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great starting point:
    Build Your Own Database Driven Website
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    This is a great starting point:
    Build Your Own Database Driven Website
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/
    I looked for that in my bookstore but apparently you guys are the only ones who sell it . Or I'd be out there reading right now.

Any other books that might help just as good?

Thanks!
    Shetly,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You cannot buy Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL from a traditional bookstore. The only place you can purchase this book is right here through us at SitePoint.com or alternatively at Amazon.com"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, only people with Team Sitepoint badges, Nicky D, and mmj are actually employees of Sitepoint. I am a forum member who has liked the book.

First off, be sure to download the free chapters of the Sitepoint book. Why not, it's free and you might learn something just from that.

An alternate book that comes to mind is O'Reilly's Web Database Applications with PHP & MySQL. I have heard people refer to it positively, but I have not looked at it personally nor have I ever seen a fanatic revue of it. Still, most O'Reilly books are pretty good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

If anyone has any other resources or sites or anything that could help that would be awesome!

Thanks again samsm!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP (scripting language) and MySQL (database) is one of the "big two" combinations as far as database-driven sites, excluding Perl/CGI. The other major one is ASP (a Microsoft scripting language) and MS Access (database, if you have MS Office you may have it). Either combination will give you a platform--but you have to know how to program first, and have at least a bit of familiarity with databases. (You probably have those two items already--just thought I'd give that reminder )
    "When the ship misses the harbor, it is seldom the fault of the ship, and it is never the fault of the harbor..."
    //think of that when you get an error

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by //andrew-p//
    PHP (scripting language) and MySQL (database) is one of the "big two" combinations as far as database-driven sites, excluding Perl/CGI. The other major one is ASP (a Microsoft scripting language) and MS Access (database, if you have MS Office you may have it). Either combination will give you a platform--but you have to know how to program first, and have at least a bit of familiarity with databases. (You probably have those two items already--just thought I'd give that reminder )

Well I have decided I do want to go with PHP And MYSQL, so I am currently looking at them.

Does anyone know if I can run MYSQL Server on my computer and just program that way? I don't have a host at the moment that supports PHP Nor MYSQL.
    So basically can I program with MYSQL And PHP Without a host?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! In fact that is a good idea even if you have a host. It's often faster to try things out locally than to upload, test, upload, test. etc.

You can install mysql and php on almost any modern platform: Windows, OSX, Linux, etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok another basic question,

How would I install the programs onto my computer?
    And where do I get them?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Everyone For Their Replys!

I wanted to buy: HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS and Building a datbase driven site with PHP And MySQL.

Now is that worth it?
    Because what I am going to do in this site is:
    Make a tip of the day, product of the day, and have a banner of the day, and have this switch ontime everyday. I am also going to have the content column which I want to switch every week or so... now if I DO Design my site with CSS instead of HTML will I still be able to insert databases and PHP into this? Will it be more difficult?

Thanks!
    Shetly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will probably be less difficult to create a site using CSS for design as CSS helps to separate content from presentation.

As for the worth of each of those books, I suggest you read the sample chapters and see if you think they are for you. :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    It will probably be less difficult to create a site using CSS for design as CSS helps to separate content from presentation.
    I'm not sure I quite understood what you said... Can I still insert databases into CSS? All the things I mentioned in the above post.. will I still be able to do it in CSS?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be able to do everything you mentioned using CSS. CSS will never directly touch a database however, that is PHP (or another programming language's) job.

All any of these programming languages ultimately do it to allow you to handle text... that text can then can be formatted in any way you want, with tables, CSS, etc.