SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict Eternal Designs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Working with a older Director File

I have a older Director 6.5 file which was originally created on a Mac. My current system is Windows Xp based and I'm using Director MX. I would like to output the file to shockwave for inclusion on my portfolio site. The problem I'm running into is when trying to output, the progress bar gets to about 99-100% and then Director eats up 95-97% CPU and then stops responding. If I try to create a projector the same thing happens. I can work with the file in Director fine and play it inside of Director. Am I missing something here? I already tried updating the file to Director MX format without any change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wonder how much Lingo changed from vr 6 to MX? there could be something there. are there any extras that were used in the original that either aren't compatible with MX or are missing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbolte
    i wonder how much Lingo changed from vr 6 to MX? there could be something there. are there any extras that were used in the original that either aren't compatible with MX or are missing?
    I didn't use any xtras and the only lingo/behaviors I used were: a simple mouse over, UI Rollover Change Member, Sound Play Castmember, Video Play, Video Rewind and Video Stop. I have had some computer hiccups lately and I wonder if my Director woes are related.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be, but it sounds like there is a small flaw with the Lingo and it is getting caught in a redundancy check, essentially eating all your available RAM.

I had files working with Director 8.5 that worked well when inside Director but would generate errors when i ran them and .exe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jixxy
    it sounds like there is a small flaw with the Lingo and it is getting caught in a redundancy check, essentially eating all your available RAM.
    The funny thing is it doesn't eat up a whole lot of RAM,(uses about 85-100mb) just takes over the CPU.

I thought that by using the update xtra that Director was supposed to convert the code and file format to MX. Like I said before it is a fairly simple file and the behaviors used were standard ones included in Director. The Lingo used was this:

Code:
    on mouseUp
      go "Marker" //this refered to the different markers.
    end

on mouseUp
      sound stop 1
    end
    I imported all the graphics and most of the sounds and linked to two external quicktime movies and two audio songs.

Could my problems be because of the file originally being created on a Mac and I'm trying to now work with it in Windows? It was originally stored on a Mac-formated Zip disc and copied over to my HD a few years ago.

Is there a Lingo debugger in Director?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this one solved. It was a couple of old behaviors from 6.5 that didn't work in MX. I think Macromedia needs add some functionality to the Update Xtra that would check for old behaviors and replace them with the updated ones.

EDIT: I spoke a little too soon. I can make a projector but can't publish to Shockwave.
    Last edited by Eternal Designs; Jun 9, 2003 at 14:26.