SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's going to laugh at this.

What does this actually translate to? I'm an utter newcomer to cgi scripting:

Cgi-bin path: /home/username/domainname-www/cgi-bin/filename

Now, I'm assuming this one is face value:

Sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail

But I have a long road ahead, and I don't want to assume anything. Thanks, everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jfiliss,
    Installing CGI script is not that hard, you'll soon use to it!
    The first path is for your cgi-bin, where you stor your cgi scripts
    The second path is for sendmail program, which is used by CGI scripts that need to perform sending mail operation.
    Does that answer any of your questions?
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~jfiliss~ Since I know that you will want to learn more -- Here are two resources from SitePoint's WebmasterBase that will help you with CGI/Perl...

The first is a great tutorial by Chris Bowyer called Programming Perl 101 -- "Whether you've merely heard of it, installed a few scripts on your own, or taken one look at the code and turned pale, this tutorial is for you."

The second article written by Blair Ireland also from SitePoint's WebmasterBase is TroubleShooting CGI Installations

Both are worth your time to read & reread & bookmark!
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. The TroubleShooting CGI Installations is closer to my speed right now.

I definitely do need to know more, and I appreciate any suggestions for resources on basic CGI installation, but what I was asking about might have been too obvious for everyone here. LOL What I wanted to know was whether

translated into anything, or whether I wrote it out as is. Do I convert "username" to my username, "domainname" to my domain name, etc..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    filiss, yes you will need to subsitute your specific information into that phrase. So for example:

username: test
    domainname: testdom.com
    filename: myscript.cgi

so then

/home/username/domainname-www/cgi-bin/filename

translated using the example needs to be

/home/test/testdom-www/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi
    (take the .com off of your domain name.)

Regarding the sendmail line, you will need to check with your host to see what the acual line is, but it will be very similar to the one you have. That line is specific to the host, not the user. (Assuming, fo course, you're using a hosting company, not hosting it on your own machine.)

The other line to check with your host is the path to Perl. It's usually something like:

#!usr/bin/perl

That line needs to be the first line in all CGI scripts, (and pointing to the right place!) or the script will not work.

happy scripting!
    m.

[Edited by musika on 11-03-2000 at 01:55 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jfiliss
    Thank you for your response. The TroubleShooting CGI Installations is closer to my speed right now.

I definitely do need to know more, and I appreciate any suggestions for resources on basic CGI installation, but what I was asking about might have been too obvious for everyone here. LOL What I wanted to know was whether

translated into anything, or whether I wrote it out as is. Do I convert "username" to my username, "domainname" to my domain name, etc..
    The first thing to do is ask your host what the path is. I had problems at first because there may be other names involved. ie my path is
    /home/sites/mydomain.com/web/cgi-bin/filename.cgi