SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner Question - How Do I Make This?

I am very new to javascript/jquery, most of what I have learned has been on Codecademy but I haven't actually created anything useful yet. How would I create a map locator tool that has a zip code search function? Basically I have about 200 locations. I would like the user to be able to type in their zip code, with the results showing them the closest locations to them. Seems simple, but I have no idea where to start? Any info/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums

Quote Originally Posted by dsully360 View Post
    How would I create a map locator tool that has a zip code search function? Basically I have about 200 locations. I would like the user to be able to type in their zip code, with the results showing them the closest locations to them.
    Personally, I would use Google Maps and a proximity search.
    Here's a tutorial: https://developers.google.com/maps/a...hpsqlsearch_v3

Quote Originally Posted by dsully360 View Post
    Seems simple
    Really?
    In order to realise this you will need to geocode your zip codes into longitude/latitude coordinates, interact with the GoogleMaps API, parse and display the results, not to mention have a working knowledge of PHP and MySQL.
    To me, this seems somewhat more complicated than you realise.

Here's another link that might be useful: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ip-postal-code

Good Luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thank you for the help. I know its not simple, which is why I said "seems" simple, doesn't mean it is.