SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

separate database or not?

I have a site with a user table. I want to integrate a forum like vbulletin with my users table so that visitors only have to sign in once. Should I use a separate db for the forum? I don't think I can query both database with a singel query so it seems to be more efficient to install the forum into the same db. Ideas?
    http://www.echo-consulting.net - Sound Solutions for Online Inspriations.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could depend a lot on how much integration you want to do. If you are planning on doing more integration down the road, it may be easier to keep them in two tables. Conceptually speaking, if you have a separate schema for the rest of your site (more than just a user table), it might make logical sense to keep them in separate database. Although, it wouldn't hurt to have both schemas in the same database and would be a bit easier for some queries and allow for further integration later on. Plus, open connections to two databases and querying each separately may be unnecessary overhead depending on your requirements. If you only have a users table besides the forum, there's no need to have two databases, I think.

Just a note, the next version of vBulletin will be supporting table prefixes. I presume that this is not supported in vB2. If you can wait for that, it would probably help a lot to keep things organized if you give these tables a prefix, if you plan on keeping all the data in the same database.
    http://www.statgfx.com