SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here's the deal. I've got a high traffic site that currently gets 2,000,000 or more page views a month. Traffic can only go up from there, and it will dramatically once I submit it to search engines.

However, we seriously need partner sites and sponsers. I've contacted several related sites that run affiliate programs, and proposed partnerships that would benefit both my site, and theirs greatly. The problem is that in most cases - even when the letter is addressed to people specifically looking for partners - I am left high and dry. Either I get redirected to another person who does the same thing, or I don't get any response at all.

I've got close to 7000 people relying on me to continue providing service to them. Right now I can cover monthly server costs, but the time my partners and I spend on the site isn't really compensated for.

I need to find out a way to make enough revenue to make the site worth my time. CPM banners wont work, nor will CPC ones most likely as the CTP is usually low. If anyone could offer me some advice I would extremely appreciate it, I could use all the help I can get!

For reference: My site offers free (bannerless - no sponser) webhosting (subdomains+ftp). Finding members and traffic isn't a problem, revenue is. It's located at http://www.globalreaction.com if you'd like a closer look.

Thanks a lot!

-Chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to partner with you if you wnat, email me at greggurevich@yahoo.com
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you may want to consider changing that no banners hosting. It would be one way to make income.

Otherwise I would say expand.

Like you said you've got 7000 people. So start offering more services, in a way to be your own partner.

Do you offer your members a good tracking program? No? Well write a tracking program and let them all use it. Serve ads on the traffic reporting pages and you've got 7000 webmasters eyeballs for sale.

Partner with a site such as SP. Or make you own similar site. Things to help your members build their sites.

Basically expand into the area of member services more.

You could also consider becoming a portal of sorts.

And, even if you don't add banners to the member sites. I think a text link at the bottm that says (this site is hosted for free by Global Reaction blah blah) is more than appropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true what aspen recommended about being a portal.
    Many site can't survive if only offer a single service/product. So implement something that your members or their visitors would love to buy, advertising sale might not be powerful as target sale/commission
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg: I believe I sent you an email a couple days ago regarding partnering, if you didn't get it just tell me and I'll compose another

aspen: The no-banners thing was implemented in the hopes of getting our members to be more willing to sign up for certain webmaster services that pay us affiliate cash. However, right now it's quite difficult to force anyone to sign up for something while at the same time respecting the TOS of the affiliate.

Banners were paying chicken feed, we could only get low CPC deals and our CTP for the members' pages wasn't the best (save for a few good banners).

As for the expanding and partnering with useful sites, well right now I've been spending hours reading/writing emails to potential partners every day. The problem with expanding and finding partners is that I still need steady source of income. I've got loads of ideas of what I *could* add, but there's no point in developing them if it won't pay for itself.

I think it might be worth offering something to members that they could buy, perhaps that could really boost things. I guess that would go hand in hand with expanding the services. Right now I'm hoping I can get a deal with a related site (webmaster stuff) that would like to either make some sort of partnership (signups, etc) or buy targeted advertising. The whole main site, and the file manager is targeted at webmasters! What a waste of thousands of impressions!

Anyway, I've got to hit the sack now. It's pretty late here. Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it (even if it doesn't seem apparent at this time).

Thanks, hope to hear more.

-Chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure i dindt get it. ill see if i can find it.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldnt find it, but i sent you an email address to support@globalhost.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that kind of traffic, you should be able to make some serious money with a few well selected affiliate programs!

There are thousands of them, but you should just pick four or five that fit your customers perfectly. Then begin recommending them personally.

There are several programs that pay a high dollar amount and should not be passed up.

For a free course in affiliate marketing, send a blank email to: tamscommercetips@sitesell.net

This is a very long five day course that will teach almost everything you need to know about making money with affiliate programs. It is written by a voice of experience.

You can find more good affiliate info on my site: http://www.mserve.net