SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inktomi has been planning this for some time and have now launched the service.

http://www.positiontech.com/about.htm

Allows you to submit a page for a fee and have it included in the index used by Inktomi partners. They re-spider the page every 2 days so the listing is always fresh. Whilst this goes some way towards the problems of getting pages to stick with Ink, you still need to optimise pages to get them to the top of the listings.

Still keeping the free submit option too.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the folks at Inktomi saw the LookSmart feeding frenzy and felt like they could pull a rabbit out of a hat too.

The pricing breaks down like this:

Price per Page
    1st Page $20.00
    Pages 2-100 $10.00
    Pages 101 + $6.00
    -----------------------------

Now, I can't speak for everyone, but that means that it would cost me more than $1,000 just to have my site indexed.

That's just plain ridiculous.

What I would suggest, however, is that everyone make sure that they submit their site using the free service NOW at either HotBot or Canada.com before they take the free submission page down.

And once the pages are in, pull your page up quite a few times in the day via a search - click on the link - and DON'T RETURN BACK TO THE SEARCH RESULTS. (see Inktomi algorithm thread)

That seems like a real chore, but at least at this point that seems to be the only tactic you can try to stay listed in the Inktomi Database.

Then, hopefully when they take the free service away - you won't get dumpped.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines used to be so easy to get in. Now getting in Yahoo or Dmoz is harder than finding gold.
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As more engines move to Paid Submissions we're finding clients willing to put a little budget ($500) behind their submissions have a much better response from Yahoo, Looksmart and now Inktomi.

Quick listings and traffic follows shortley afterwards. Of course without the budget things are as you say VW a different matter. It makes me wonder how all the '$99 submit your site' type businesses can continue to offer their services in good faith.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my $.02, but be wary with paid submissions. I submitted my site with the Looksmart paid service a few weeks ago, and they included me, and I was even placed in the right directory next to CNET and all the rest, but the directory was so deep down in the navigation tree only the real desperate people would ever see my link... It has been up for 3 weeks now, and I have received 2 visitors from it. Honestly, I wonder how many those testimonial people got paid to say that stuff! Ofcourse I sent an email to Looksmart telling them how disappointed I was, but no reply even ... this is not what I expect from a service costing so much...

Have a great day,

Mike
    Mike Ossendrijver
    Sales, AdSensor - Quality Online Marketing
    mike@adsensor.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid it too. during first 2 months I got 2 or 3 hits but this month I am starting to get a lot of traffic from MSN and AOL both using Looksmart. I think after a while you start to get a better result. dmoz also worked well for me.
    google is using dmoz.org and I am getting 10-20 hits from them on daily bases.
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actualy the idea of Inktomi is pretty neat! Good for dynamic site, but they will adjust the price to attract more people, IMO!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy