SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Essential Navigation Checklists for Web Design

This forum thread discusses the SitePoint article 'Essential Navigation Checklists for Web Design' by Marta Eleniak.

"Sick of puzzling over the navigation for a new site, only to discover you've forgotten something halfway through your design? Marta's checklists will help you navigate your way clear of all the pitfalls."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice article Gives advice on lots of things you'd normally overlook.

Keep up the good work!

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Bear in mind that titles seen as content at the top of pages should correspond to: the title meta tag of that page; the URL for the specific page to an extent; and the wording of the link (or navigational button) that was clicked. This all goes towards assuring the user they are where they wanted to be and helps them get there again
    I agree with the sentiment, but I don't know if it needs to match anchor text, per se. Navigation anchor text, yes; inline anchor text, no, as your anchor text choices are informed by the link's context in the linking paragraph. I would also say that the title should be echoed in a <h1>
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good article, but nothing new, in my case anyhow. It is always nice to have a refresher of whats good practise though.

'Information Architecture for the World Wide Web' by Louis Rosenfeld & Peter Morville ? I confess I have not read this as on first glance I didn't think it was anything new as it preached what I already practiced, but I am told by reliable sources it is excellent guide to what is an essential part of any navigation design work
    I have read it, and it is a great book. But, it doesn't sit well with me that she is reccomending a book she has not read. I don't really know how to explain how I feel, but it seems a bit odd to me; especially since this is one book that she should read regardless of her standing in the 'experience architect' world.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jixxy
    A good article, but nothing new, in my case anyhow. It is always nice to have a refresher of whats good practise though.
    Yep, always good to have reminders. I was reading the reviews of "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and one of the negative reviews said something like "it's all common sense". And I'm thinking, if common sense were really all that common, he'd never have written it in the first place lol.

I still need to print this out and still need to order the new book from Sitepoint. I'm starting a new site from scratch and both these things should help me out in that and then in redesigns.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to get sitepoint's books. I should look into the cost; I wish i could just go to Chapters and get em tho

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Its always good to be prompted. Keep up the good work hey.