SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gang,

At the recent Internet Marketing Conference in Sweden, John Frost (Inktomi's Director of Marketing) gave away some of the clues as to how Inktomi ranks web pages.

Most of the stuff he revealed was pretty basic.

- They're counting link popularity.
    - Inbound text links that are keyword filled count more.
    - Title Text is more important than Header Text

Some of the stuff was very interesting.

- Body text is neutral
    and
    - They are measuring click throughs in a big big way!

Frost explained that after user pulls up the results of a search query and clicks on a link - they are measuring the time it takes for that user to return to the search query results. At the same time they are doing this, they are keeping tabs on the origional search term that was used.

The logic is that if the page is of high quality and is on target the user will not return to the search results quickly but stay on that site.

Web sites which show a consistent quick return to the search results will be penalized and if that continues they will eventually be deleated from the index. For web sites which show a slow return to the search results the exact opposite will happen. They will go up in the results.

===============================

So, what do we do with this info? I've got a few ideas, but would like to hear from everyone.

I think this topic is one which would best be brainstormed.

Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting... very interesting explains why one of my web sites has 440 - 640 out of 2,000+ html pages indexed and ranked on inktomi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not make a site specifically for that engine that won't allow people to click back for a couple minutes at least

I'm going to have to give this engine some thought.. sounds better than most :P

Chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chuck,

I guess the problemw with that is that disabling the browsers back button is considered spam and if caught you'll almost certainly be dumpped from the index.

Redirects are another option, but again, that's riddled with problems.

That said, I thought that 'slowing' the back button down might put ya into a gray area - but from what I understand so far that's a coding nightmare. There is no 'pause' in javascript.

Also, I don't believe anyone knows what constitutes a 'good' page view or a 'poor' page view.

Does Ink consider a quick return anything under 5 seconds? 30 seconds? One minute?

Who knows at this point. I just know that this is one more piece of the pie we have to figure out.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net